April Showers...

Tuesday, April 6, 2010


Well it rained a lot yesterday, all day in fact and it reminded me of what my mom always says at this time of year, 'April showers bring forth May flowers'. So that was my inspiration for this fun card!


I thought I'd try my hand at a little paper piecing, LOVING IT! You'll definitely be seeing more of that from me. I first discovered it at Moxie Fab World . The umbrella is made up of different pieces of paper from the Mind's Eye Spring papers pack that came with Cardmaking & Papercraft magazine UK (Issue 75). The background papers are from the Ready for Spring set at the Digichick, the umbrella shape is also from this set. I really love the raindrops paper, it was just perfect for this card.


Of course I had to add a little quilling, I was going to use some digital flower stamps but I thought these cute quilled flowers worked better. I picked the colors out from the umbrella. I wanted the quilled flowers to really stand out so I picked a similar tone as the background paper for the foliage, I used my crimping tool for the foliage. I added the butterfly at the end, I made it from two heart shapes and an eye shape, I squished it around a little until I got the right shape! The text I just printed out and added some soft blending around the edges with chalks.



I added a little sewing detail around the edges on the sewing machine. The base card is white and I used blending chalks to pick up the colors of the papers to color the frame. I used a soft scallop at the bottom of the card. I added a little pale green satin ribbon to finish.

With all the rain we had and with sunshine forecast for the weekend, I'm hoping for lots of May flowers in the garden!

Supplies:

Cardstock/ Paper: White card, Ready for Spring set at the Digichick, Mind's Eye Spring papers pack that came with Cardmaking & Papercraft magazine UK (Issue 75)
Other: Blending chalks, foam pads, glue, scissors, quilling papers, quilling slotted tool, quilling crimping tool, white thread, sewing machine, scallop cutter, pale green satin ribbon, text printed out from printer.

8 comments

  1. Beautiful project! I love the quilling and the paper piecing project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your choice of colors, you achieved the look of the quilling standing out!
    Wonderful quilling!

    Keep on Quillin',
    Denise
    http://www.customquillingbydenise.com/shop

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful card! It is so colorful it makes me happy just looking at it. I really like the extra texture of the crimped paper used for the leaves and stems. Great job on the umbrella, too. This card is definitely a winner! Thanks for sharing.

    Charlotte
    www.theartofquilling.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, thanks for the nice comments, brightened my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a stunning card. We have the same expression here in the States (without the 'forth'). Each time it rains, I imagine that in May something as lively and colorful as the flowers on your card will appear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Pretty! After seeing this card, and others, plus the tutorial on making quilled flowers, I'm hooked on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh very sweet! love the umbrella ...looks like a happy rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Clare! Thanks so much for entering the Picking Up the Pieces Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.