Shimmer butterfly...

Thursday, April 15, 2010


I had so much fun making this card, I love butterflies, a touch of pink and of course a little shimmer! It's for the Creative Inspirations DT sketch challenge, have a look at the Creative Inspirations blog for all the other amazing cards created by the design team.


The great butterfly shape is a template from Cardmaking & Papercraft Magazine Issue 76. The lovely floral pink paper and the stripe paper are Granny's Parlour digital papers from The Shabby Princess. I used Creative Inspirations paint in Pink Highlights to paint some of the stripes. I love the color Tutu Pink, such a perfect pink! I used this to pick out the details in the floral paper. I used this same paper to make the butterfly. The smaller butterfly is a piece of lace between two layers of white tissue paper with PVA. The text paper is from an old Wildflowers book that I scanned and printed. I used a little green blending chalk on it and sponged some Evergreen paint on the edges. I used the same green to stamp the sentiment.



I wanted the butterfly a little larger so I came up with idea of using loops of pink satin ribbon to add a little more to the butterfly wings. I attached these with double sided tape. I used Tutu pink again to paint some white flat backed pearls. I painted a few strips of white quilling paper in Pink Highlights paint, left to dry and made a few quilled scrolls.


I added a little stitching detail in pink on the sewing machine. I used a scallop cutters for the edges of the pink floral paper, I didn't stick these down flat, I lifted them up slightly (like the wings of a butterfly), this way you catch a little shimmer from every angle! I carefully painted two lines of Blush paint next to the stitching. I added a few more pearls and some ribbon to finish!

Supplies:

Cardstock/ Paper: White card, digital papers from Granny's Parlour at The Shabby Princess, scanned paper from vintage wildflowers book printed
Stamps: Anna Griffin sentiments
Paints: Creative Inspirations Paints in Pink Highlights, Tutu Pink, Blush and Evergreen
Other: Blending chalks, sponge, scissors, scallop cutter, paint brush, glue, double-sided tape, pink thread,  sewing machine, foam pads, flat backed pearls, white quilling paper, quilling tool, tweezers, sage green stitched ribbon, dusky rose satin ribbon, piece of lace, white tissue paper, PVA, butterfly template from Cardmaking & Papercraft Magazine Issue 76.

9 comments

  1. this is just amazing! i love it! (oh and i just ordered some quilling supplies hee heee!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just Beautiful. I love the ribbon idea to make the butterfly larger and copying the bookpage for a background. A truly inspiring card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! The paper quilling is a great added touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ribbons on the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your card!! Beautiful job!! Love the shimmer of the butterfly! Love the whole idea behind the card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow- this would look gorgeous in a frame....on my wall! Gorgeous- your colors are outstanding and the design with the butterfly is stunning. I love the stitching too. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your choice of colours...very pretty and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Clare, I just had to let you know that when my daughter saw this card she called me and said that your card is her inspiration for her baby shower invitations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, thanks for the great comments, delighted my card was the inspiration for your daughter's invitations too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.