Some real vintage cards

Saturday, April 10, 2010

I was going through one of the boxes my gran left us after she passed away (a long time ago now) and discovered a lovely collection of old cards in a fabric covered box. I love looking at old cards to see how the styles have changed over the years. Anyway I thought I'd share a few of them with you, so I scanned a few of them.


I love the text in this one, really thoughtful. 'Keep the joy of spring-time ever in your heart, and in the sun of gladness may the shadows all depart.' The color combinations are really striking too and I love the flower selection, some of my favourites primroses, bluebells, forget-me-nots and even some buttercups! A really lovely card.


I had to include this one because my gran just loved dogs, especially Scotty dogs and Old English Sheepdogs.
The illustration is really nice in this card, really cute. The text again quite thoughtful with real meaning behind it.


There is some really lovely detail in this fine illustration. The black print is slightly raised with almost an embossed feel to it. I love the way the gate is open in the image, leading you into the card. The colors are really subtle, which give it an elegant feel. Exquisite.


I had to put this one in because I just love roses. This image is just gorgeous, I love it. The colors are really soft and warm, quite a romantic card. I like the way they used the deep red ribbon to pick up the color of the red roses.


It's funny how trends repeat themselves eventually, here we have sweet birds, fresh blossoms, lace detail and scallop edging! I really like the shape and layout of this card, I can see the slight Art Deco influence of the period. This card is just as interesting on the inside as it is on the outside!


I hope you enjoyed looking at these cards as much as I did. We can learn quite a lot from the past. I'm very grateful to my gran for keeping these lovely cards. They're in such great condition too. I will treasure them, as much, I'm sure as she did.

2 comments

  1. Hello Clare,

    I just came across your Blog yesterday, and am gradually working my way backwards! Your work is absolutely wonderful and a real inspiration. I am so impressed with the amazing detail in your projects, and love that you are experimenting with paper folding, quilling and all sorts of paper crafts. I will keep coming back for inspiration!
    Thank you so much for posting these beautiful vintage cards which your Gran has lovingly kept all these years. They are stunning, and the wonderful sentiments are so special. I would just love stamps with these words on them. The final card looks handmade ... what marvellous detail, and carried over onto the inside too ... such a beautiful card.
    Thanks so much once again for sharing, both your own creations and your heirlooms.
    Have a great weekend, all good wishes, Melodie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melodie for all your lovely comments, much appreciated. I love those sentiments too, stamps with those words would be great!! Thanks for stopping by and delighted to inspire you!!

    Thanks again,
    Clare.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.