butterfly notelets & box

Thursday, May 20, 2010


This week's Creative Inspirations DT challenge was to create a gift or altered item, I've been dying to make this style of box for a while so this was a great opportunity to try it out. I haven't made anything lavender recently and I love Creative Inspirations Amethyst color paint, it's such a great shade not too blue and with a perfect amount of pink tone.


The box was really easy to make, I made it a little bigger than my notelets and I made sure it was high enough to fit all the notelets and envelopes in without squashing any of the details.


The two slots line up on the two sections of the lid so you can slide the ribbon through and tie your bow. I added some sections of lavender paper around the sides with some double sided tape for a smooth finish.


The box opens flat and is easy to close back up again. I made five notelets for the set, two different designs using the same butterfly stamp from Studio G Clear stamps and the sentiment is from Anna Griffin.


For the first design I painted some jute mesh with Creative Inspirations Amethyst paint. I stamped the butterfly twice onto some white card using VersaMagic Spring Pansy and I painted the edges and butterfly using Creative Inspirations Pink Highlights. 




I cut out one butterfly and layered on top of the other attaching with a little brad that I painted with a little Amethyst paint. I added some lavender paper and lilac organza ribbon to the bottom of the card. I did a little zigzag stitching on the sewing machine. I stamped the sentiment, rounded the edges and painted a border in Pink Highlights.


For the second card, I used the same butterfly stamp and sentiment. I added some white grosgrain ribbon and pale lavender lace in addition to the organza ribbon and a little bow.


I simply used a button to mark the shape of the rounded corners and cut out. I painted a border at the base of the card using Pink Highlights paint. I did the same zig zag stitching as before. 


I made some matching envelopes simply by stamping the same butterfly in the bottom left hand corner. Here you can see the full set. A pretty little gift, that didn't take too long to make!

Supplies:

Paper/Cardstock: White card, lavender paper
Stamps: Studio G Clear Stamps, Anna Griffin In the Garden
Ink: VersaMagic Spring Pansy
Paints: Creative Inspirations Paint in Amethyst and Pink Highlights
Other: Jute mesh, white grosgrain ribbon, lilac organza ribbon, pale lavender lace, lavender satin ribbon, sticky foam pads, double sided tape, glue, white thread, sewing machine, pastel 3mm brads, paintbrush.


11 comments

  1. Hi Clare, thank you for your lovely email :o) I couldn't believe my inbox when I opened it this morning! I'm loving your cards, they are stunning! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful box and note card set, great CAS look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the box AND all of the notecards! I would love the template- what a fantastic gift idea! I never thought to paint mesh- but love the look it adds to your card. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful designing box! I love your used of colors. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! I LOVE the box and the notecards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous project! I love the soft colors and the airy feel of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty, so clean and pretty, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty set! I love the CI Paint Amethyst also! I've always wanted to make a set like this. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! This is a good idea to give to my daughter for her baby shower for her thank you cards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the lovely comments everyone! : )

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.