It's all in the Icing

Thursday, May 6, 2010


I had lots of fun making this card for the Creative Inspirations Paint 'It's all in the Icing' challenge! Yes, I'm still playing with pinwheels! I used a fun and bright color combo for this one, nice n' cheery! Check out the Creative Inspirations blog to see all the other fab cards from the DT.

I made some of my own paper using the Creative Inspirations Paint (the turquoise and pale yellow/pink squares and the turquoise on the pinwheel). Really simple, just using watercolor paper or even white card wet the paper all over with a large brush, add a light wash in one color on the left and another color on the right. I used Turquoise and Canary (yellow), then added a few splatters of Blush (pink), then the fun bit, sprinkle some salt (table salt and some rock salt), the salt soaks up the water and color and leaves an amazing pattern. Leave to dry overnight and then brush off the salt. The Creative Inspirations Paint leaves an amazing shimmer as a color wash as well. The stronger colors will have a more striking effect but team them with a softer color for contrast. The randomness of the pattern is really beautiful.


I used blending chalks to color the background border in blue. I cut out the squares in the salt splatter paper and pink polka dot paper and attached them to the yellow layer. I added some stitching between the squares on the sewing machine. The sentiment is stamped in Blush paint and layered with some sticky foam pads. I softened the edges with some blue blending chalk, then with a paint brush I added a border in Blue Ice. I added the same border to the blue on the base card.


The pinwheel is a square of my splattered paper backed with some pink polka dot paper. I painted some white ribbon in Turquoise, Canary and Blush. Once painted and dry I twirled them around a pencil to give the spiral effect, the paint made the ribbon a little stiff so they retained the shape quite well. I marked where I wanted the pinwheel on the card and made a little hole. I used a little pale yellow velvet brad to attach it to the card. To add a little more detail and balance the layout I painted three flat backed pearls in Canary paint. A fun card to brighten someone's day! I certainly had fun making it!

Supplies:

Cardstock/paper: White card, Pink polka dot paper and yellow gingham paper (both The Digichick)
Stamps: Anna Griffin In the Garden
Paint: Creative Inspirations Paint in Turquoise, Canary, Blush and Blue Ice
Other: Pale yellow velvet brad, blending chalks, sticky foam pads, white thread, sewing machine, flat backed pearls, paint brush, white satin ribbon, glue and double sided tape.

7 comments

  1. Such a cute card, wonderful colors. The quilt like BG looks wonderful with your sparkly pinwheel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those colors just make me happy! I love the salt idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome card! Love your pinwheel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the card!! Great job! Love the bright colors! I like what you did with the background. The shimmer in the pinwheel is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors combo.

    I have an award for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.