stars & stripes

Sunday, May 23, 2010


I made this card for the Stars and Stripes challenge over at The Shabby Tea Room for Memorial Day. It was a little out of my comfort zone with the colors but I actually had lots of fun making it! My mom gave me some lovely American flag ribbon a while ago and it was just perfect for this card.


The base is just plain red card and I used a simple star shape to make the background by painting the stars with Garnet Creative Inspirations paint. I outlined these in Rustic red paint. The effect turned out quite nice, a little hidden shimmer. I didn't have any navy paint so I did a little mixing, I used some Coal Creative Inspirations Paint and mixed an equal amount of Royal blue, it actually turned out a nice dark denim color, which I thought was pretty nice. I added some stitching detail in white on the sewing machine ( yes, it turned out a little rustic!)


I cut a few pieces of the stripes bit of the flag ribbon and distressed a little by pulling a few threads. I tied a few of these together with some red and white thread, I used this as a base for my star. I used Creative Inspirations paint in Winter frost to paint the star and while it was still wet I sprinkled some glitter dust on it, I softened the edges with blue blending chalk. I stamped the sentiment using the same navy paint I mixed onto some white card painted in Winter frost. I painted three flat backed pearls in Garnet, I only used one coat and the color turned out great! To finish I added a little lace, thread and a button.

Supplies:

Paper/cardstock: Red card, white card
Stamps: Create and Craft Thank You stamp
Paint: Creative Inspirations Paint in Winter Frost, Garnet, Coal, Royal Blue and Rustic Red
Other: American flag ribbon, red and white bakers thread, flat backed pearls, glitter dust, button, lace, white thread, sewing machine, glue, double sided tape, foam pads, scissors, paint brush, blending chalk.

5 comments

  1. Wonderful design, Clare! I added your pic to the gallery -- my timing was off by 12 hours, so thanks for catching that for me! As always, I {heart} to see your lovely designs each week that you create especially for the Tea Room challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable this is! I love the ribbon and baker's twine behind the star and the strip of American flag ribbon down the side edge is wonderful, too. Thanks for playing along with us at The Shabby Tea Room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great patriotic card! I love your embellishing! amazing card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card for this challenge! Love your star embellishment and the twine over the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Clare, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I'm still excited about the win at TSTR. I just looked back at your blog and your work is so pretty!! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.