lace kanzashi flower...

Tuesday, June 22, 2010


I finally had a bit of time yesterday to make some Kanzashi flowers. I've been dying to try them for a while now. I bought a book Kanzashi in bloom by Diane Gilleland, it has great step by step illustrations on how to make them. I made this one out of a wide piece of lace I had, it's slightly softer than if you make them out of cotton fabric. It's actually easier to make them out of cotton but I just wanted a lace one to match my card!!





I was surprised how easy it was to make, once you get the hang of the folds. If you've done any Origami then you'll find it fairly easy. The hardest part for me was getting the shape right once you thread all the petals together. I glued a fabric circle to the back and then a paper circle on top of that to make it easier to glue to my card. Plain fabrics or small prints look best. There's loads of different variations on petals and size. It is very addictive, I can't wait to get some more fabric and try some more!! It's very  satisfying when you've finished one and you can add any centre you want.






I used some more of the lovely ribbons I won from The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store. I used some fab crochet lace, the incredibly soft 100% silk cream ribbon, some great striped ribbon and a bit of beige twill that I  gathered and sewed on the machine.


Of course I had to add a little glitz with some Creative Inspirations Paint, I just love the little extra it adds when you move the card and see it shimmer. To create the effect here I simple sponged around the edges of the card in layers. I used Autumn Wheat, Gold and Tan. It really gives a lovely light quality to the card. I did a little textured stitching around the edges and at the paper join.


The fab turquoise digital paper I used is from the Gardenologie Paper Pack by Quirky Twirp at The Digichick. The little bit of text at the bottom is from the Parisian Paper pack at Scrap Girls. The sentiment is Anna Griffin. You wouldn't believe the difference that little pale turquoise button made to the card, I was so glad when I found it in my big bag of buttons, it just brought the whole card together nicely!

Supplies:

Cardstock/ Paper: White card, Digital Paper from Gardenologie at The Digichick, Parisian Papers from Scrap Girls
Stamps: Anna Griffin Sentiments
Ink: Ink it Up Chocolate brown
Paints: Creative Inspirations Paints Autumn Wheat, Gold and Tan
Other: Cream 100% silk ribbon, crochet lace, twill and striped ribbon all from the Stamp Simply Ribbon store, 4" wide lace, natural twine, needle, cotton thread, sewing machine, glue, double sided tape, scissors, foam pads, buttons, sponge.

4 comments

  1. Lovely card! I absolutely love the flower. I've never heard of that type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your combination of ribbons, pleats, lace flower are TOTALLY amazing!!! LOVE your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word.. Clare.. this is GORGEOUS!!!! *wow wow wow* LOVE it

    Ohh.. and I have one additional question: These Creative Inspiration Paints.. are they similar to the Twinkling H2O or is it an acrylic paint?

    So glad you have joined our Hybrid Chick team :) your work is so inspirational :)

    {hugs} Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sylvia!

    I haven't used Twinkling H20, so I can't really compare but they're not plasticky like acrylics. They're water based, creamy, shimmery not glittery, you can stamp with them (applied with a sponge, you can paint with them on paper, card, acetate.... I'm spoiled with a lovely selection being on the DT but they last for ages. I mainly use them for stamping, sponging edges, painting borders, changing the color of embellishments, great on ribbon! I love 'em! So glad I applied for the DT position now!

    I'm really excited about being on the Hybrid Chick team, I am addicted to Digi papers and I can't wait to start experimenting more!!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.