pretty little suitcase filled with....

Sunday, July 11, 2010



* WOW, I'm stunned my little suitcase WON at The Shabby Tearoom!!*

Filled with tea bags of course!! You could fill it with anything, it's such a neat gift box. I woke up with a picture of this in my head and you guessed it I had to make it. I bought a book a while ago called 'Paper Sculpt Sensation' by Marion Elliot, there is a great project in it for a masculine suitcase, the basic structure is the same but I made a shabby chic girlie one!!  It's made from foam board/ foam core, it gives great rigidity to the box and it's really light! (Apologies for the bad lighting in the photos, I had to take them in the evening!) I also made this with The Shabby Tearoom in mind, Week #17 'Let's make an Impression' - the challenge is to use embossing somewhere on your project. I used heat embossing on all the little tags on the tea bag holders and on the tag on the suitcase.



I used silver pearl embossing powder because I thought it complimented the pastel colors of the suitcase nicely. The little tag shape is from Victorian Fripperie by Waltzingmouse stamps. My favorite stamp set at the moment but Afternoon Tea I love too! So, I decided to combine the two in this little project! So inside we have.....



A set of six little tea bag holders/ pockets (with a selection of my favorite teas inside!). I made three different designs two of each. I decorated the backs with Victorian Fripperie and the fronts with Afternoon Tea. On the inside of the case on the top section I stamped an area to write a little message to the gift recipient. 


I used digital papers from the Girlfriends kit by Nicole and Mari Sugarplum Paperie at The Digichick to make all the little teabag pockets. I used various elements from Afternoon Tea by Waltzingmouse Stamps on each design. The suitcase itself is covered in a pale green wrapping paper that I had.


A detail from the back of the holder, embossed tag with little teeny tiny teacup! I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Victorian Velvet to stamp pretty much everything in this set. It just turned out lighter on the pink colored card.


I felt like it needed a flower (or maybe I just wanted a flower!) so I used one of my favs from the Symphony Blend Amoroso Pink Prima flowers. I layered some lace, pink satin ribbon, pink picot edged ribbon, a little green and white baker's twine and some natural twine to create the embellishment.



The corners of the suitcase I made from card from The Mariposa Stack DCWV (the inside of the suitcase is also lined with this), I stitched these on the machine (curves are a little tricky as I discovered!) I added a little stamped detail from the Victorian Fripperie set and a few flat backed pearls.


I was just lucky to find a few buttons that matched nicely! I really loved making this, it would be a great little box for notecards too! It did take a while to make but I think it was worth the effort!

Supplies: 

Card/paper: Foam board, pale green wrapping paper, Mariposa Stack DCWV, Girlfriends kit by Sugarplum Paperie at the Digichick
Stamps: Victorian Fripperie, Afternoon Tea by Waltzingmouse stamps
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Victorian Velvet, Versamark
Other: Selection of ribbon, lace, twine, flat backed pearls, buttons, thread, sewing machine, silver pearl embossing powder, heat gun, Symphony Blend Amoroso Pink Prima flower.

32 comments

  1. Beautiful suitcase! I love the delicious papers that you used. So much Shabby goodness! Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful project with us in the Tea Room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW! This is outstanding!!! Gorgeous in every detail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! look at all that detail, and not just the suitcase. this gift is just decadent. you really outdid yourself with the matching tea casings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this is darling. Truly a cute idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Love all the lace and papers. The design is fabulous. And your tea bag holders are so lovely. What a wonderful gift this will be IF you part with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Absolutely stunning, a fabulous gift. It must have taken you ages to make, but the end result is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, Clare! This is amazing! What detail! I absolutely adore this sweet suitcase, and all your tea bags look fabulous! Whoever would receive this gift would be one lucky person. :)
    thanks so much for joining us again this week in the Tea Room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with everyone else.....WOW! So detailed, so pretty! Whomever receives this will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the great feedback everyone!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Clare! This is beautiful! I adore tea myself. What a great gift idea. Someone will be very lucky to receive this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, Claire! When I think you simply cannot top your previous designs ... YOU DO! This vintage suitcase filled with tea bags is absolutly STUNNING!!!!!!! I want to come and live in your craft room! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing and inspirational projects with us each week in the Tea Room :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How adorable! Truly a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful!!! Congrats on your win ... Very Well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clair, what a great gift! Beautifully done too!
    Congratulations on winning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on winning,it was very well deserved,stunning project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations, Clare! I just saw you won for this project in The Shabby Tea Room. Well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations- what an amazing project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to everyone who left a comment, I really do appreciate it!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your well deserved win Clare! Can't wait to see your next creation!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This project is totally OVER the top -- I Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is simply stunning. Adore everything about it! Would love a tut on how to make the case. Congrats on winning the Shabby Tearoom too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is amazing! Wow, you sure do have the creative streak in you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so beautiful!! I think that you are a fellow Hybrid Chick and I love Waltzingmouse Stamps too! Did you design the suitcase yourself? So gorgeous with all these lovely details!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yep, I'm a Hybrid Chick too! I saw a masculine suitcase in the book I mentioned in my post, I used the basic concept and adapted to suit my design. It's just a box with a card hinge!! Not too hard to make.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is soooo cute! What a beautiful and lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.