Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lavender filled Heart (WMSC10)



Another brilliant sketch for this week's Waltzingmouse Stamps Sketch Challenge. A nice simple layout for WMSC #10. Here's my interpretation of the sketch! I also made this with this week's City Crafter Challenge in mind, they have the theme of hearts this week.


I've been wanting to make a little lavender filled heart for a while, I just love little gifts with cards! What could be better than receiving a card accompanied by the lovely scent of lavender. This heart shaped stamp from the Seasons of Love - Tags set by Waltzingmouse Stamps made it super easy to make the lavender heart. I used VersaMagic Pretty Petunia to stamp the heart directly onto cotton fabric. The sentiment is from the Sweethearts set. The heart is detachable, stuck on with sticky fixers.


I cut out the heart, leaving an edge around it. I cut out another heart the same size in plain cotton, I stamped this with a little motif also from Seasons of Love - Tags in a repeat pattern. I sewed around the edge of the stamped heart on the sewing machine (front side facing out) leaving an inch open on one side (to fill with lavender). I also added some purple seam binding at the top while I was sewing the edges. I made a little paper cone/funnel to make it easier to fill the heart with lavender. I then hand stitched it closed. I stitched on a little lavender button too.


Here's a little photo of the back of the heart. I love that little motif from the Seasons of Love - Tags set, it makes a pretty repeat pattern. Perfect for the back of my lavender heart!


I was actually really surprised how well the stamp came out on the fabric. I did ink up the stamp pretty well, I did a few test stamps before it came out perfectly. You do need a little more ink than you would if you were stamping on paper, I guess because of the absorbency of the fabric.


I'm gonna tell you why I love lavender hearts so much now. I always remember when I used to visit my gran's house as a kid, the lovely scent of lavender and these cute little lavender hearts she'd have hanging on the front of the wardrobes. That scent always brings back warm memories now. The wardrobe in the photo is actually the one from my gran's house, it was passed on to me after my gran died. It's in my guest room now, along with some other treasured pieces of furniture of my gran's. Ok, I'll stop blabbing on now! Lavender hearts were actually used to keep moths away from your clothes, that's why my gran had them hanging on the front of the wardrobes!!


I stamped the snowflake motif from the Season's of Love - Tags set in VersaMagic Spring Pansy to make the patterned paper at the bottom of the card. I also stamped the same motif along the top of the card. 

Make sure you visit the Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge Blog to see all the fabulous creations from the Mischief Makers!! Please use the keyword WMSC10 when you upload to any public galleries. Don't forget to link your creation over at the Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge Blog too. You have until Thursday August 19th at Midnight EST.

Oh, I almost forgot, the August Friends of Waltzingmouse Stamps Blog Waltz is on August 17th AND the theme is Vintage/Shabby Chic, YAY!! More details here.

I'll be back tomorrow with a special post for the Creative Inspirations Paint blog hop to celebrate it's one year Anniversary, there's a lovely prize up for grabs!

Supplies:

Card/Paper: White card, Paper from Retrospect 365 Paper Pack by Quirky Twerp at The Digichick
Stamps: Seasons of Love - Tags, Sweethearts by Waltzingmouse Stamps
Ink: VersaMagic Spring Pansy and Pretty Petunia
Other: Dried Lavender, white cotton fabric,  sewing machine, needle and thread, buttons, lavender seam binding, natural twine, sticky fixers, lavender satin ribbon.

20 comments:

  1. I just totally LOVE it! love everything about it. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so BEAUTIFUL! Love it! Such a masterpiece. You are so talented.

    hugs & love,
    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your wonderful lavender pillow Clare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Clare .. you never cease to amaze me with your beautiful creations! I too love to make these .. I collect the lavender each year and always put it by my bed ... Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CCCB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My... I just love this.. Anyone would be lucky to recieve a card like this.. That is so clever how the heart detaches. Thanks for joining us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!!! How creative and beautiful! Thank you for playing along at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet Clare! Love the lil' lavender filled heart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, attaching sweet fragrance to the card. The card is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful! Love the scent of lavender!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so sweet and pretty! Love the lavender satchel that you added as an accent....would be so yummy to receive that!! Lovely job with the sketch!

    ♥♥♥Lea

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a clever idea, lovely creation with my favorite scent - lavender. Thanks for sharing it with us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so cute what a great idea a gift in a card. thanks for joining us at the CCCB

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just beautiful, Clare. I love incorporating gifts into my cards, and this one is going in my idea file! I really love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty card and a great idea to fill the heart with lavender!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just fabulous! The crispness of the image on fabric amazes me! Beautiful gift and awesome take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. fabulous idea!! LOVE your lavender pouch! wonderful project!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just love this card, CONGRATS on being one of the Spotlight artists

    ReplyDelete
  18. that little pillow is such a smart little gift. i love the whole lavendar theme - from the colors right down to the real stuff. thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful idea! Thank you so much for sharing it with us, it's truly stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous! I love it. Lavender is one of my favorites. I just became one of your followers. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.
    Have a lovely day,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!