Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge #11

Saturday, August 21, 2010



Oooh, a lovely sketch this week at the Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge Blog. I had lots of fun with this one. The minute I saw it, it reminded me of the top of a pretty jar. I love little gifts and recycling things too. So I had a little jar that I cleaned, popped a few Iced Caramels in and decorated. Here's the top!


I was totally inspired by Betsy Veldman's recent post on how to build a doily from all your little stamps. Such a clever idea, I had to give it a go with some of the Waltzingmouse Stamps. I used stamps from Victorian Fripperie and Seasons of Love - Tags. The circle stamp I masked with tape to create a semi-circle! I stamped directly onto fabric to make my doily top for my jar. Here's a few of my experimental doilies on paper, it really is fun and strangely therapeutic coming up with patterns!!


Back to the jar! I used a regular dye ink pad to stamp on the fabric but I did leave it to dry a while before I cut it out (the second time! I learned my lesson, smudged the ink!) Another tip is to use a little double sided tape on the rim of the jar to stop the fabric moving around when you're trying to tie your twine around it!!


The sentiment is from the Sweethearts set by Waltzingmouse Stamps. The band around the jar is also a strip of fabric I stamped with the motif border from Victorian Fripperie. I added some red seam binding on top of the band. I love red and white baker's twine, it went really well with this project, I can see myself using a LOT of this at Christmas!!


I tied the seam binding at the back in a little bow. Just because I thought it looked pretty and it hides stuff!! ; )

Make sure you visit the Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge blog to see the wonderful creations from the Mischief Makers!! Please use the keyword WMSC11 when you upload to any public galleries. Don't forget to link your project over at the Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge blog too! You have until Thursday August 26th at Midnight EST. Have fun with this one!! : )

Supplies:


Card/Paper: Off - White card
Stamps: Victorian Fripperie, Sweethearts and Seasons of Love - Tags by Waltzingmouse Stamps
Ink: Ink it Up True Red
Other: Little jar, sweeties, cotton fabric, narrow red satin ribbon, red seam binding, red buttons, red and white baker's twine, sewing machine, double sided tape.

55 comments

  1. I just love it!! Was already wondering how you made the doily. Thanks for telling how to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most beautiful candy jar I've ever seen!!!! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very creative to make doilies with stamps - these look wonderful Clare! Love your treat jar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic project and such great tips on your process. Thanks for sharing your wonderful creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Great idea to make your own doilies from stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these are just lovely, really like the doily building technique using a rubber stamp ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. your stamped doily is just amazing, Clare! gorgeous project! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous Clare! You did an amazing job stamping your own doily - I am sure you made Betsy proud :) So elegant & what a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Breathtaking; so so beautiful.

    Thanks for all the inspiration; you are so talented.
    There is an award waiting for you on my blog....
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is so amazing!!! Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so creative Clare, and beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Clare ... just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So gorgeous Claire!! I love you you stamped the doilies!! fantastic wee set! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh! Clare, this is GORGEOUS!! Love everything about it! Thanks so much for sharing the link with me!! :-)

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. A cool fun project, executed perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so lovely! I've got to play with some seam binding -- it always sounded like one of those things for "serious sewing people" so I steered clear of it. Now I keep seeing it used more or less as ribbon, so I'm thinking I might be able to handle it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. great card - love the red and white!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea!!! So pretty and what a great little gift set!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very beautiful project! Love your sentiment too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a fantastic gift. the doily is such a great idea. love every bit of it, including your baker's twine. thanks for a lovely inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So very clever & I just love the red & white & that baker's twine is perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did Betsy proud, Clare. Your build-a-doily is fabulous. Actually, they all are. Hope you plan to use your experiments on other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so pretty, and what a neat idea for a jar top! So clever! Great job with the sketch!

    ♥♥♥Lea

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is just so clever! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Clare, ADORE what you created - wow, jaw on floor... so beautiful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is absolutely amazing. The attention to detail is fabulous and I love what you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Would love a tutorial on those doilies!! Gorgeous! You are very creative talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ooh, love it!! Sweet gift for any occasion :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a clever idea....such a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very clever idea--I like how you made your own doily.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a fabulous idea. It would make a lovely gift for someone.

    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so nice and what a great idea to make your own doilies!! What a great little gift set..TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is one of the best designs I have seen in a long time. I decorate jars with candy often and this is perfect... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the idea of making my own doilies! Thanks for the inspiration from such a beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi
    and wow... I loved this first time I looked at the picture. Your idea is brilliant and so inspiring, thank you!!
    XX Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love this little jar and the inspiration to make a doily.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is so beautiful and creative! Love the red and white!

    ReplyDelete
  38. EEK love how you used the sketch for a LID! So lovely in red and cream!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very pretty jar topper! It would make a great gift!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  40. great jar top topper, good idea for xmas preserves

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, I am impressed! You did a beautiful job creating that jar topper.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Very cool way to interpret the sketch! And I am glad you reminded me about Betsy's make your own doily idea, I really want to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Adorable sweetie jar! Love your crisp colour combo and fab doily!

    ReplyDelete
  44. That is gorgeous, thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love how different your idea is, and have just opened the doily tutorial to have a read - what a lot of patience, but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Okay, just went and read that tutorial and am so anxious to try it - thanks so much for the lead!! I always love all the details in your cards, it amazes me the amount of work you put into them!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks for all of the hot tips! I love your project!

    ReplyDelete
  48. WOW!! That is absolutely AMAZING. Thanks so much for sharing how you created that! I can't wait to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. The doiley jar top is fantastic, the stamps you used work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Amazing - so ingenious and unique! Love the red and white palette you used too! Love your project for the Waltzingmouse challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is stunning! I totally love it!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.