Glittered Cameo

Sunday, January 2, 2011


It took me a while to get this card finished, the first version was pink and turquoise, it really wasn't working, so I started again, without the pink! Turquoise is such a vibrant color, I find it a little tricky to get it to work sometimes! Anyway, the starting point for this card was the glittered cameo which I made using white Fimo and a little silcone mold that I got on Etsy at Minituremold. They have some lovely molds, I bought a pretty rose one too! I also made this card with the Moxie Fab Challenge Glitter is Glam in mind.


On the tag, the sentiment is from Fancy Phrases by Waltzingmouse Stamps, the little flourish at the top is from Very Vintage Labels No.4 and the stamped text at the bottom is from Text-It also from Waltzingmouse Stamps. The background papers are from Papermania - Rose Garden.


I hope you can actually see the glitter on the cameo, it's a little hard to capture with the camera. The crochet flower is one I had in my stash. When I was making the cameo I didn't make it too thick, so it's not too heavy on the card.


Once the Fimo is baked in the oven it comes out hard and pretty lightweight. When it was cool, I painted it with acrylic paints. I found the best way to paint it was to add a series of washes dabbing any excess paint off. This way more paint went into the cracks. I highlighted some of the details with white paint, again dabbing any excess to give a more translucent finish. Once it was dry I brushed with PVA and sprinkled with fine glitter. I love how it turned out!


I've been busy making some Fimo roses with the other mold. I'll be back tomorrow with my Shabby Tea Room post, my card has one of the roses on it! Enjoy the rest of your day! : )


Supplies:


Card/Paper: White card, turquoise paper, Papermania Rose Garden
Stamps: Fancy Phrases, Very Vintage Labels 4 and Text-It from Waltzingmouse Stamps
Ink: Black Archival Ink, Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Antique Linen
Other: Buttons, tag, string, sequins, sewing machine, crochet lace, crochet flower, sticky fixers, glitter, FIMO, silicone mold.

13 comments

  1. What a beautiful cameo - you did a great job. Hugs, antonella :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare - this is stunning! The cameo is just beautiful and I love the colour. There's so much to see on the card - texture, colour, sparkle. It's fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Love the little handmade cameo, and the colour combo is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Clare

    What a stunner! I too love turquoise and your cameo is lovely - might have to visit that Etsy shop! Can't wait to see your roses tomorrow.

    Take care

    Tina
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredibly pretty Clare ... your cameo turned out so good it looks like the real thing ... you clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! Love the cameo! I didn't know there were molds out there to make your own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That just said "GORGEOUS" over there! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card! Love the pop of blue and that timeless cameo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Thanks for the ETSY link.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Clare! Thanks for entering the Glitter is Glam challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you played along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clare this is stunning; the cameo is breathtaking. i love the combo of colors and that cameo as a centerpiece.....WOW!
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your gorgeous card, Clare. The turquoise with kraft looks fabulous and the sparkly cameo is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.