Gallery Idol Round 2 - Creative Die Cuts!!

Monday, July 18, 2011



Here we go! (Feeling very nervous now!) Ok, so I somehow made it into the Top 15 of the Gallery Idol Competition run by Papercrafts Magazine. I'm SO happy just to have made it this far. The standard is SO high now all I can do is try my best. The theme for round 2 is Creative Die Cuts!!



The lines are a lot cleaner in this card but my style is definitely still there. I wanted to recreate the idea of a wall of family portraits using the new cameo stamps from Waltzingmouse Stamps. I attempted to make a suitable frame for the cameos, I played with a few different dies but I found Spellbinders Labels Eighteen made the nicest shape. I used Classic Ovals Large with the other die to make each frame. I taped them both in place, die-cut and embossed, they do make perfect frames for these little cameos!


I used adhesive foam pads to add some dimension. Here I used the cameo from Cameo to Go by Waltzingmouse Stamps simply stamped in black. I'm not used to using so much white but I wanted the die cuts and embossed lines to speak for themselves. (I made several stamped copies of this card, in hope that I'd manage to have one perfectly stamped with no inky fingers by the end of it all!!)


To add some color I used Very Vintage Labels No.18 by Waltzingmouse Stamps, I tried a few different colors but went with Memento Rose Bud in the end, for a pop of color! To add a bit of variety to the texture of my card, I embossed around the stamped frames using the Labels Eighteen Dies. The smaller cameo images are from Cameo Creations by Waltzingmouse Stamps.


I thought the fab scripted text from Big Day - Additions by Waltzingmouse Stamps went nicely with the cameos. I had a little bit of hot pink grosgrain ribbon that matched pretty well.


My card may have cleaner lines but there's still a lot of detail in it. I love this lace border die by Marianne Design, so I decided to create a lace ruffle effect by layering the border. Turned out really pretty!


I tried photographing my card on a white background but it kind of disappeared, I wanted to use a plain pink background but we're only allowed to use white, black, brown or grey, so I went with the grey!

Ok, so you've seen my card, here's where I need YOUR help again. I need your VOTES to get through to the next round. Thanks so much if you voted for me in the first round, I'd really appreciate your VOTE again. I  haven't participated in anything this exiting in a long time (if ever!), I'm really enjoying myself and pushing my creativity at the same time. I'd love to get through to the next round. To VOTE for my card go to the Papercrafts website and click on my card. You can VOTE directly for me by clicking on my card in the top of my sidebar on the right. Thank YOU! : )

34 comments

  1. Wow! Your card is extremely stylish!

    I'll run to give you a vote! Very best luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do know Ms. Buswell that I positively gasped with delight when I saw this card! It is absolutely extraordinary! The impressed dies along with the traditional die cuts is ever so clever. I love that! It's almost as if you said (in the most graceful way of course), "You want die cuts? Well, I'll give you die cuts alright!". Boy oh boy. You sure did bring it Clare. I am crossing everything creative and crafty for you. I'm off to vote for you now, with pleasure. Golly, this is sooooo exciting! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clever concept, Clare! I love your take on the cameos and frames. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful card Clare!
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful card, Clare!
    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a clever and innovative way to use labels, Clare. A really lovely card! Good Luck! with the next round x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this card - I can see your style in it, but it's a bit more CAS - and it's just wonderful! I really like the bold black, white and pink, and the way you've got the dies offset. Off to vote now!

    Many congratulions on being in the Top 15!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clare, you aced this!!!!! Awesome card, the colors, the cameos, the use of die cuts!! All fantastic! Good luck (but I dont't think you need it)!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and clever card, Clare! Congrats on advancing! Off to vote...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just so beautiful, Clare! I love the fresh white with the black and the pop of hot pink. Way to use those cameos! Good luck!! My vote has been tallied.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, Clare! I love the frames you've created and such a lovely color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Clare! Well done you! So very happy for your success; you're card is breathtakingly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know this couldn't be more fabulous, Clare... LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your die cuts are beautiful- this is such a fun and trendy card. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clare your card is just stunning and beautiful.
    I love the colours and the touch of lace at the bottom - perfect. Good luck.

    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely stunning ... best of luck Clare

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clare - just voted for you. Adore your card - best of luck in this round. Have to support the Irish gal!!! Fingers and toes crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is soooo gorgeous, Clare!! You certainly used those die-cuts very very creative!! Great idea, it's like a gallery in a museum, love it and the colors are so so pretty and with using our all favorite Waltzing Mouse stamps, no doubt you'll win!!! I'll go and vote now!!
    Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just voted for you again; good luck.
    I almost fell off my chair looking st your card; it's a handmade jewel. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my - my jaw dropped when I saw this card...gosh it is so, so good Clare....wonderful...best wishes for the future rounds...we are enjoying it all through you..now off to vote. Keep going girl! We'll support you!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Claire, This is AMAZING!!! I can't imagine how long you toyed around with this idea before you got everything just so! All your lines are clean, the colors and stamping are perfect. Just BEAUTIFUL!!! Good Luck (although I don't think luck has anything to do with it - only your hard work!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have to wait to vote for you when I get home from work - can't access Papercrafts from work ;( This cameo wall is wonderful Clare - love the colors and layered framings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Как красиво! Очень нежно и изящно!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a gorgeous card, Claire! beautiful crisp design. love it! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wowzers, Clare, this is incredible!! Creative, unique, clean, perfectly balanced, great pop of color and looks fab on the gray BG! Off to vote for this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning card and i voted for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a beeeeeautiful card! Those frames kind of look like plaster, which is so wonderful with the cameos. Love the colors, too! Here's to the Top 10!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't tell you how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE this card! Totally fabulous! I absolutely love the frames!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, Clare I love this card so much!! I popped over and voted and left a comment. It's just exquisite - and what a beautiful idea to make it a wall of family portraits. fab!! x x

    ReplyDelete
  30. This card is absolutely beautiful! So elegant and classy! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW! Clever, stunning, gorgeous, out-rageously beautiful card!! You've definitely got my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wowww, what a beautiful card is this. So lovely.

    Hugs Astrid.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.