Gallery Idol Round 3 - Fabric meets Paper!!

Monday, July 25, 2011



Ok, here I am in the Top 10 of Gallery Idol Competition run by Papercrafts Magazine. I'm SOO excited to have made it this far, thank you for all of your votes. You helped me get this far!! The theme for round 3 is 'Fabric Meets Paper'.


I spent ages playing with different ideas but I went with Kanzashi in the end. If you haven't heard of Kanzashi before here's a little bit about it. Kanzashi are Japanese flowers created by folding small sqaures of fabric into petals then gluing them together. Here's a link to a tutorial. You get nice crisp lines if you iron the folds. I covered a button with the same fabric for the centre. The leaves I cut from some green felt and stitched a line along the middle.


For the banner I used the same technique, in Kanzashi these little triangles are called 'falls', they're usually attached on one of the shorter sides of the triangle but I turned them on their sides to make a cute little banner!! They're glued to a strip of pink ribbon (no sewing involved!)


I used the Say it Loud stamp set by Waltzingmouse Stamps for the sentiment stamped in black, carefully cut out and attached with foam pads. I stamped the wishes text using True red ink. The white backround is embossed using the In Stitches embossing folder.


The pretty floral paper is from Crate Paper's Emma's Shoppe. I die-cut the pink border using Marianne Design Lace border die from felt. I added some yellow ric-rac across the join.


Here's the fabric I used to make the Kanzashi flowers and banner. I LOVE this fabric, I bought it ages ago from a local fabric shop. I love the pattern, the color combo, it's just so cheerful and pretty. I'm not usually a red fan but I love it in this mix of colors.. the fact it's a floral probably helps too!! : ) This was the color inspiration for my card.


I made a few Kanzashi flowers and falls before I picked the 'right one' for my card!! I love these flowers, you can make them any size, the size of your squares for each petal work out to be the size of your finished flower. You can add whatever centre you like too, covered buttons, brads, simple buttons...


Ok, that's it. I hope you like my card and if you do PLEASE VOTE for me... : ) Here's the link to the gallery at the Papercrafts Magazine website. You can VOTE for my card directly by clicking on the photo at the top of my sidebar. I can't make it to the next round (the Top 5) without your votes. Thanks for getting me this far, I'm really grateful!! Whatever happens, I've had lots of fun, made new friends and stretched my creativity, so it's all good!! : )


31 comments

  1. Well done, Clare - your card is so striking! Love all the textures and elements you added - good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare: I absolutely LOVE your card!! The flowers are just perfect, and I love the banner done in fabric also, and the felt border and the stitched leaves, and the ric-rac. (Oh, and the fabric covered button too!!) You did a lovely job! Congrats on getting to this round, and I'm off to vote for you. Have a great week!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, Clare, that flower is gorgeous! You did such great job this round!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty and very neat flower! Great card.
    Good luck!

    I can see that this round we can vote EVERY DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also this card is again very good. Nicely with the flower. A very nice as a whole.
    Have the map of July 18 also a reaction.

    Hugs Astrid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Clare - that flower is really fabulous - the fabric is so pretty. And your card is just wonderful. Wishing your so much good luck!! Off to check out the Top 10 now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clare this is gorgeous!!! I love the flower you created! Wow! You have my vote again, for sure!! So creative, lovely colors and perfect stamps for sure! ;-) Hope you win!
    Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clare, your card is just over the top gorgeous! I'd love to see you create a tutorial on making these flowers (or point me to one that's already in existence). You got my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know at first that the banner is fabric too- so cool! Love the bright colors on your card

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these flowers! Thanks for the link and bringing them to our attention as I've never heard of them! I am off to vote for your fantastic card! Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clare - oh my goodness, this is such a great card...and this K thingy...you know I will have to have a go at that...love the fabric and the felt and the paper and the ric rac...augh...it's so, so perfect....now I'm off to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm back to say you will definitely be in the last 5 if there is any justice in this world. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply amazing! Love that flower! Off to vote!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful, Clare, and so perfectly done. I always love the brightness of your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh, those flowers... I'm under the spell of this card, it's so full of texture and dimension, just how I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sheesh...how did I miss your tutorial link?! Sorry I was in such a hurry and missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous flower! Love how your card came together with all the fabric pieces and rick rack too. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Clare

    I am totally gobsmacked by your creatvity and fabulous use of fabric. Your card is just beautiful and gorgeous, and so amazing.

    Thank you for sharing your inspiration with us.

    Good luck.

    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful Clare, the flower is wonderful, and the mix of colours are so cheerful! Good luck with Gallery Idol! You've got my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! Lots of fabric too! Well done. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful concept! Love your take :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my word ... this is s beauty ... fabulous work ... love your flowers and the banner ... fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, Clare this is just SO fantastic!! I love those reds and pinks together and that flower just looks AMAZING!! Thank you so much for sharing how to make them too. You are one talented lady x x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your details are wonderful...love the look of the crisp fabric bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Clare, so much to love about this card!! Those flowers are gorgeous - thanks for the link! Love that embossing folder, too :). Beautiful card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beauuuutiful card! Have voted for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous!!!!!!! Love those flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful. I've never heard of this fabric folding/sewing technique before. Thanks for broadening my horizons. You've got my vote for sure! BRB...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Clare

    Well what can I say such a gorgeous card I've looked at the others and yours is definitely my favourite!! Good luck with the competition hope you make it through to the end.

    Hugs

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this one! Gorgeous flower.

    Hugs Corine

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous flower you've created using fabric, it does have such nice clean lines and that makes it really stand out. Wonderful bright colors too. Good luck in this round!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.