Paper Ruffle TUTORIAL (lots of photos!)

Thursday, September 22, 2011



As promised, I've put together a tutorial on how to make these no-sew paper ruffles that look like fabric. I've been using this technique a lot recently because I love the results, they really add fabulous texture and drama to a card. Once you get the hang of the technique you can make them quite quickly. Here I've made a triple ruffle but double and single ruffles look great too. Ok, here we go... I do go into a lot of detail! So maybe get a cup of tea... or coffee! : )


Firstly you'll need a good quality weight of paper, here I've used Prima Botanical papers in strips of 12" by 1.5". You can play around with the widths of paper but I find you'll need at least 12" for the length. You'll also need some water in a spray/mist bottle, I used an old Tattered Angels glimmer mist one and double sided tape.


Spray along the BACK of your strip of paper with water, just a few squirts, don't over wet it or it'll be too soggy!


Using your finger spread the water evenly over the back of the strip. Leave it for a minute or two to absorb in. The water makes the paper much easier to shape.


Flip over your strip and start to gather, pinch along just ONE SIDE of your strip.


Keep hold of as much of the strip as you can, continue gathering, the gathers don't have to be uniform in size. Keep going until you get to the end, it should look a bit like this.


Once you get to the end you can let go. You'll need a tool with a flat rounded end, I used the wrong end of my tweezers. On every other gather use the tool to plump out the pleat by pulling the tool along the back of the pleat in an upwards motion. Do this while holding the pinched side.


It's kind of hard to describe, I hope you can see what I'm doing in the photos. Do this for a few of the gathers.


Once you get to the end, put your ruffle aside to DRY for at least 15 mins. Pinch the gathered side tight before leaving to dry. You need to leave it to dry because the double sided tape won't stick to the damp paper and you'll have a bit of a mess. (Trust me I know!)


You can make your other ruffles while this one is drying! Once dry gently lie the ruffle flat on the wrong side (Trust me!)


Then add a strip of double sided tape to the top of your ruffle (at the back), press down firmly. Remove backing.


Flip over your ruffle. TAKE YOUR TIME doing this next bit. Start to regather your ruffle! Sticking the pleats as you go along, the double sided tape is pretty sticky so don't panic. Just focus on a section at at time.


Work your way along to the end of the strip. Once it's all gathered and secured use your tool to fluff out some of the gathers.


Then repeat for your other strips. You shouldn't need to add any more tape to the back of your ruffles, you should be able to stick them directly onto your card. Just don't forget they're sticky when you put them down somewhere!


I'll just show you how I do the triple ruffle. Stick down your bottom ruffle, gently press the middle down first, make any adjustments so that it's straight. Once you're sure it's straight press the top of the ruffle down firmly.


It's best to trim the ends of each ruffle before you add the next. I cut them flush with the edge. (You'll see why in a minute!)


Add your next ruffle, following the steps as before. It's up to you how much space you want between the ruffles.


Add your final ruffle. (Don't worry, we're nearly at the end!)


Trim the ends with a sharp scissors flush with the edge of your card.


Now tease out the edges of the ends, they should fan out nicely. I do this for each ruffle.


So that's it, your ruffles are complete. It should look a bit like this. Now finish off your card however you like. It's fun to play with the depth of the ruffles as well as the fullness, use shorter strips for less full ruffles. There's so many possibilities!!


I hope you followed all that ok!! I hope you'll give it a try, it's very addictive once you get the hang of it!! Have fun!! : ) Oh yea, the ruffles are also really handy for hiding the sharp ends of trinket pins behind too! 

Supplies:

Card/Paper: White card, Prima Botanical papers
Stamps: Big Day - Additions from Waltzingmouse Stamps
Ink: Black Archival ink, Distress Ink Antique Linen
Other: Seam binding, trinket pins, Spellbinders Fancy Tags, twine, sewing machine, die-cutting machine.

75 comments

  1. Очень классно получилось! Сама изящность. Спасибо за идею и урок!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a perfect tutorial. I have never thought to do this and I like it. Thanks for sharing it with us! NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card! What a lovely idea, ruffles looks adorable :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a brilliant idea and tutorial :) Im sure I will try it out in my next cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is just gorgeous, as always! Thanks you for paper ruffle tutorial.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING!!! This is so WONDERFUL again! I was just going to ask where you find all the beautiful papaer you use - then I realize I have those paper - but I could just never have thought up and made anything near as beautiful as this with them. You are just outstanding! Thanks for the tutorial - will let you know if I give it a try (-:
    Hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely idea! I'm already thinking of how this could work on a "welcome baby" card... Or, maybe it could be adapted for tutus or other fancy dresses. Thanks so much for taking time to post this. I will definitely be back!!
    Gloria
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your lovely ruffles technique!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing, this card is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, guess who is going to have your fabulous flounces on practically every card for the forseeable future now? Sigh. Yep me. Thanks for such a clear tut on your fantastic ruffles. I'm totally excited now.

    Your card is first class. The pattern papers are so beautiful combined as you have done and paired with that fantastic label. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THANKS for sharing!! I'll be giving this a try - it looks sooooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh Clare....soooooo beautiful. They really do look like fabric and add such a cozy, warm feeling to the card....loving them:-)) Thank you for showing us! xL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been tempted to try these paper ruffles out after seeing them on your cards lately. Thanks for the tutorial, will definitely be making some now x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your lovely creativity. Your blog is always a fun stop. Love your designs and beautiful work

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this, can' wait to try it.
    Luv, Babs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I Love this!! Thanks for the tut I'm really going to use this

    ReplyDelete
  19. great tutorial and such a darling card, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! Gorgeous, and it really does look like fabric in those lovely prints. Great tutorial, I can't wait to try it. I have some Girly bday cards I need to make this month and this will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wonderful results. FAB tutorial! thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous ... your paper just looks like fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing this great tutorial, Clare! I will definitely be trying this, the results are spectacular! The card you made today is so soft and romantic, would be perfect for a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a beautiful card and a wonderful tutorial...you make it look so easy. I've attempted paper ruffles before with so-so results, but some of the steps you suggest should help a lot. Thank YOU! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. So stunning....appreciate you sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks a lot for this very helpful tutorial!!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful tutorial, Clare! Love the card, too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Thank you so much for going through the effort of putting together this tut! It's totally fabulous! I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a super treat! Gorgeousness overload! Love what you have done here and thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love these paper ruffles Clare, I am so going to try this! Stunning card too, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your picture tutorial -Thank you for taking the time to explain how to make these beautiful ruffles! I'm going to try to make a few this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow!, thanks so much for this tutorial.
    -Sony

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful, great tutorial thanks for sharing x
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful card! Thanks for sharing a tutorial on this technique. I love it and will certainly give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, I love your well written tutorial. Do you have any idea what weight this paper would be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, I used scrapbook weight paper (about 180gsm) but I have used heavier paper/cardstock too but it's a little more tricky, you'd have to spray it a bit more with water to make it more malleable. I hope that helps.

      Delete
  36. Wow! I love your technique! I can't wait to try this out. Thanks so much for the lovely tutorial!
    Sincerely,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  37. Simply gorgeous and a great tutorial, thanks so much. I want to give this a try....

    ReplyDelete
  38. Еще раз большое спасибо за урок и идею! У меня получилась такая вот открытка с вашими рюшами http://katrin-hobby.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-post_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. Patti P. shared a link to your ruffle technique on her blog, Patti's Paper Creations and I found my way here. Thank you for sharing this technique and your lovely vintage card!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Also here from Patti P's blog and what an awesome tutorial you have created. Definitely going to give this a try. Thanks! "Hugs"

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great tutorial! I came over from Patti P.'s blog. Gorgeous work, and TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  42. here from Patti too! awesome tutorial TFS (-:

    ReplyDelete
  43. Clare thank you for the tutorial. I made a card using it http://monika-jot.blogspot.com/2012/05/falbanki-falbanki.html

    ReplyDelete
  44. beautiful card, great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  45. Fantastic tutorial, lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Clare, thanks for sharing. I made a card using your tutorial here - http://mymemoryverses.blogspot.com/2012/07/encouragement-card_31.html
    I hope I did it justice!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love this card and your tutorial is so fantastic. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow... what an *AWESOME* tutorial!! I'll definitely try this!! I also came up with the idea to make fabric ruffles, but haven't even tried to make them yet. It was sooooo awesome to find your tutorial!!! I love the fact that you can easily make gorgeous matching *ribbon* from any paper collection!! :) God bless & big hugs... Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  49. These are lovely! I will definitely be using this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great idea. I did something similar myself. I think I'll try your way too. Thanks for the tutorial.

    Hugs from Slovenia, Keti

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow , thats a fantastic tutorial !!!
    Thank you so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love this but have a really dumb question? HOw do you get this into an envelope?? It seems like it would flatten everything.....all that hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl! For my more dimensional cards I either A) Make an envelobox - http://www.crafterscompanion.com/The-Envelobox-Creator_p_371.html B) Make a simple lidded box, you can also pick these up quite cheaply or c) If it's to go with a gift I usually alter a gift bag and use the Card Hanger Die to pop my special card on the front, it's even better than a tag - http://soapboxcreations.blogspot.com/p/card-hanger-die.html

      Delete
  53. Excellent tutorial. Made some ruffles for a tag I crafted and I'm really pleased with the results.
    Thank you for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a fab addition to any card project. Love this tut - clearly explained. Thank you so much for sharing, Clare.
    xxx Asha
    Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  55. Gorgeous card! Thanks for the tutorial, I'm looking forward to trying this technique x

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is delighful! found it on Pinterest and followed you here! I will be back to visit! lovely blog and super good tutorial on the ruffled paper. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Very pretty! Found you via http://marcellesmainia.blogspot.com/2013/09/blessings-2nd-last-church-card.html

    ReplyDelete
  58. I am going to try and use this technique for a valance that will go above a dollhouse casement window. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  59. What did you mean by 'sticking your pleats"?
    Thanks!
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy, when I added the double sided tape to the back of the strip, it made it fairly flat again, so once the tape is added you have to regather the folds/pleats. With the added tape you're 'sticking' the folds/pleats in place. I hope that explains it for you! Good luck with the dollhouse casement window!

      Delete
  60. Wonderful tutorial. Thank you for taking the time to include all the photos.

    Keep up the great works.

    Cannot wait to see more.

    Happy thoughts,
    Petrina

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!