The Ribbon Reel - Challenge #10 (Back to School)

Monday, September 5, 2011



This week at The Ribbon Reel challenge blog the theme is 'Back to school' - create a card or project using school elements, ribbon or baker's twine. Here's the inspiration photo.


I went with an apple motif, I don't have any apple stamps so I just drew a simple apple shape onto some red card and cut out. I added some faux stitching with a white gel pen around the edges and I cut out some pretty floral paper from October Afternoon 5&Dime for the centre. The stalk is a little bit of card board and I made the leaf using some Sheer Ruffle Edge Ribbon from The Ribbon Reel (I just added a couple of stitches to the base).


The yellow patterned paper is from Daily Junque by Pink Paislee (some of my prize from the Gallery Idol Competition!) I also added some Red/White Baker's Twine from The Ribbon Reel, yellow Seam binding and that gorgeous Black and White Stripe Twill!


The sentiment is from Frame-It by Waltzingmouse Stamps stamped in white onto some plain black card, supposed to echo the look of a blackboard, not that many schools seem to use blackboards anymore, they use interactive whiteboards at Isabelle's school!


I added some distressing to the cream card using Antique Linen Distress Ink and I created some dimension using foam pads on some of the layers. Pop over to the Ribbon Reel Challenge Blog to see what the rest of the DT have come up with. Don't forget to play along to be in with a chance of winning some fabulous goodies from The Ribbon Reel.

Isabelle is settling into school, this week will be her first full week, they're still finishing early this week at 12:30, next week it'll be until 2:00pm, the normal school day for them. I'm sure she's going to be very tired that week!! I just hope she eats her lunch!! Here's a pic from her first day! : )


13 comments

  1. She's absolutely precious...
    hope she eats lunch too...
    I worried about that with my youngest one this year too...
    but he's in love with strawberry milk so no worries now! :)
    And this card is so incredible...
    love that apple!
    How creative to use the ribbon as the leaf...
    and absolutely love that black and white ribbon...
    it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you know the saying "An apple a day keeps the doctor away". Well; and so does this card :) It;s gorgeous!
    And Isabella's picture is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun card - I do like that lovely big apple!! Pretty details with the stitching too! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful card Clare. Nice combination. The picture van isabelle is beautiful.
    Greet Marja

    ReplyDelete
  5. The card is definitely fabulous! The blackboard-like background is cute and placing the ribbon below the picture is great - it's like cradling the apple! The layering made things looks more adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely card for a teacher, that apple is fab, and I like the use of the ruffle ribbon as a leaf!
    I trust Isabelle is enjoying school by the big grin on her face! My eldest starts secondary school today, and I'm the one who can't sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clare, that is fabulous card for a teacher. I love the colours. You must be very proud to have such a fantastic doughter. Look at her smile, she is so happy.

    Zuz. x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So So cute Clare!!! Your DD is adorable! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clare, you are making me feel sentimental. My daughter went to college this year - it felt like kindergarden all over again! Isabelle looks happy - enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the card Clare. Isabelle looks a very happy schoolgirl. My daughter started school this week too although here they are at school until 3:30 so I am expecting severe tiredness by the end of the week!
    I was lucky enough to be in your neck of the woods last week visiting family in Athea and all around Limerick and Kildare too, it's beautiful there. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the handcut apple and great use of the sheer ruffle ribbon as the leaf!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this!! That apple is so awesome...I love the patterned paper as the core!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.