WMS November SOAP - Day 4 (This little light of mine...)

Friday, November 4, 2011



Welcome to Day 4 of the Waltzingmouse Stamps November SOAP (Stamp of approval parade), thanks for all the lovely comments yesterday, I really appreciate them. Ok, so today I decided to focus on 'light', I love a warm glow about the house at Christmas, the fire lighting, candles on the mantle, fairy lights on the tree pretty much anything that gives off light. So I decided to make some luminaries.


I included a couple of techniques, some piercing and cutting. When I was a teenager I made these lampshades that had pierced patterns and paper cutting on them, they glowed beautifully. So I looked at some different stamps to see which ones would lend themselves to this technique. On this label from Seasonal Remedies I pierced all the way around the border and cut sections on both sides of the label (you'll see why once they're lit up).


Here I teamed the star from Seasons of Love - Tags (this is one of my favorites!) with the Santa silhouette from Santa's Coming to Town. Again I pierced around the edges of the star and cut sections of the circle.


Lastly I used the ornament from Santa's Coming to Town and repeated the same steps as with the other two. The luminaries are just a simple cube shape made from white card, the edges are distressed with ink. Each of these images are on two sides of each cube.


For all the other sides I stamped one of the backgrounds from Pic-Nic Patterns, a perfect pattern for the piercing technique. So, once it got dark I popped in some BATTERY OPERATED TEA LIGHTS!!! (Card and naked flames don't mix!) This is my first time photographing anything in the dark! I tried my best!


I think I'll have these dotted around the house at Christmas, just to add a little glow here and there. I don't have to worry about Isabelle playing with them either since they're just battery operated.


I love how they come to life. The piercing alone gives a nice effect but I love the extra light the cutting reveals.


There are so many possibilities with this technique, next on my list will be A Cottage Christmas. I can so imagine that little cottage with glowing windows!


On two sides of each of the luminaries as I mentioned before I used Pic-Nic Patterns, to pierce it all might have been a bit much (not to mention taken forever) so I just picked out some of the dots from the pattern. It turned out really pretty though!


And then I decided to stamp some candles... I've seen this done a few times before and I was a little nervous about trying it but I'm so glad I did. It's easy-peasy!! Get an ordinary candle, stamp label onto tissue paper (I stamped onto the slightly shiny side) I used a brown ink for a softer vintage look. Cut around, leave a bit of a border, position onto candle, take a piece of wax paper (enough to wrap around the entire candle and let you grip it at the back) cover the stamped label, try to make sure it doesn't move,
heat with heat gun, don't over do it! You'll see it changing once it's heated enough, over heat it and you'll have drippy bits! There are a few video tutorials on YouTube.


Here they are lit, I love this technique! I'm so glad my mom brought me home wax paper from her last trip to the States now! I've never seen it here!



Today we invite you to participate in a CASE (Copy and Share Everything) competition. Here’s how it works:  Find a card or project from any of the projects posted over the past few days by the WMS Design Team, CASE that project using Waltzingmouse Stamp images, and link it using the Inlinkz on Claire's blog. At the end of the competition, one project will be randomly selected to be highlighted with a Parade of its own on several of the Design Team blogs.
We hope you will enjoy this competition and that it will inspire your creativity. You have one week to complete and link your project as the competition will close on November 10th at 8:00 AM which is 3 AM Eastern, 2 AM Central and Midnight, Pacific time. The winner will be announced on Claire's blog on November 11th.

Well, I hope I gave you a few ideas to try! Here are the Design Team members bringing you ideas today!


Anya Schrier
Becca Feeken
Clare Buswell
Julia Aston
Jennifer Holmes
Kate Whelan
Kelly Schirmer
Laurie Schmidlin
Lynn Mercurio
Mona Pendleton
Sandie Dunne
Tosha Leyendekker
Claire Brennan (Owner)

29 comments

  1. Oh my Clare! Your luminaries are simply wonderful! I just love the design and the subtle glow. Thanks for sharing these and your stamped candles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful projects Clare, I've been meaning to do these candles for a while, they'll make perfect gifts. Your luminaries are just beautiful too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am speechless....this is out of this world beautiful.......STUNNING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Claire, these are unbelievable I totally and utterly LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this project, - what a fabulous idea!!!! Thanks for the inspiration, I must give this a try.... I have done candles before, and yours look great, but those cubes are amazing, they look great unlit but in the dark they have total WOW factor!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure what wax paper is but I've always used greaseproof paper.. it could be the same thing, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. {{THUNK}} <--that's the sound of my jaw dropping on the floor. These projects are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! Piercing around the stamps?! Never dreamt of it. Using the images on candles -- have seen it before but never have tried it. I will, thanks to you. I've oodles of waxed paper, so if you run out, send me your addy and I will post you some.

    Fondly,
    Ellen ♥ CardMonkey
    http://cardmonkey-business.blogspot.com
    E-mail: cardmonkey@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness what beautiful projects ... love these Clare

    ReplyDelete
  8. ACK! Those are glowing delights, Clare! I love the soft colors for the daytime, and then at night they REALLY shine! Those candles look like they came from some very expensive specialty store!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Clare, I want one of these amazingly cute lights!!! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful 'light' projects for your Christmas decorating Clare! The luminarias are so lovely with the light shining through the cuts and piercings! Love the stampings you used on the candles too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So special. Adore this project, Clare!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The luminaries are wonderful and I love the candles even more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful projects Clare! Those luminarias are so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my word, I am so in love with these luminaries! So brilliant Claire, and so very, very enchanting!! What a treat to see!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous Clare - love those candles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your luminaries are incredible...
    those candles are delightful...
    I'm totally in love!!
    There is so much creativity with this SOAP...
    I keep changing my mind about what I'm going to try first!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning Clare....both the luminarias and the candles...great idea.. thanks for sharing. Your enthusiasm is inspiring, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous projects, Clare! On Christmas Eve, our neighborhood lines the entrance way into our neighborhood as well as the walkways to our homes with luminaries. It looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another brilliant idea!! LOVE your luminaries and candles!! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are beautiful, Clare! You did such a great job combining sets to create a beautiful effect. The candles are outstanding, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore the luminaries - such pretty designs and they look so beautiful with the lights on! Lovely candles too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Clare these are AMAZING!! I love the luminaries and the way the light shines through the punched designs - just gorgeous. Those candles are lovely too - I was using Lazertrans, but I think tissue paper is a brilliant idea and it looks fantastic too. Can't wait to give these a go! Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your candle covers and the decorated candles are so pretty! The brown ink really gives the candles a soft,vintage touch.
    I was so surprised that you don't have wax paper. I thought it was something easy to find everywhere. That was so interesting.
    Thank you for sharing and inspiring today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. No waxed paper? where do you live? Antarctica? LOL, just teasing! These are GORGEOUS! I love the luminaries,,,,,I don't have those stamps, but I may give it a try with some others! awesome blog,,,,,I'm following now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Clare, I meant to forward you this link re. wax paper and where to get it in UK - not sure if it's the right one for you or not, but thought you could have a look :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-Waxed-Paper-Sheets-Breathable-Wrap-10-x-15-Soap-Candles-Cheese-Wrapping-/250940448430?pt=UK_Carfts_Candle_SoapMaking_EH&hash=item3a6d375eae

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.