Little bird card with painted mask background

Friday, January 13, 2012


Hello, just popping in with a little bird card I made. I do adore bird stamps, I love the subtle stippled shading on this one. It's from Inspired by - Caged Bird from My Favorite Things Stamps. I used Coffee archival ink to stamp it.


I used some foam pads to give it some dimension after I cut it out. It's layered over some sweet paper doilies, brown and white baker's twine and some dark brown grosgrain.


To create the patterned background first I painted a piece of canvas fabric with some acrylic paint (I mixed the color using Ultramarine, Lemon Yellow and White). Once that was dry I used a mask from Pink Paislee (my first time trying a mask!), taped that in place over my painted canvas, I mixed some white acrylic paint with some modelling paste medium by Liquitex (I had some left over from my painting days!). Using an artists trowel I added a layer of the paste over the mask and smoothed the top. I removed the mask and left to dry (overnight). I love the texture and depth of the pattern.


The sentiment is from Sweet Silhouettes from Layers of Color. Yep, I'm ready for Spring already! I noticed my daffodil bulbs peeking their tips above the ground the other day! I'll be back tomorrow with my Card Patterns card. Have a lovely weekend! : )

4 comments

  1. That's amazing ... love how you did that background and as always it is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well your masking turned out fabulously!!! Love the blue with brown bird!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clare - this is lovely - love the texture of the backing you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing texture on the background - it looks wonderful. The blue & white is so clean & fresh looking. Cute birdie!!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.