CASE Study #80 - Quilled Zinnia

Thursday, March 1, 2012


Wow, I can't believe it's March already! So that means we have a brand new muse at CASE Study, this month we're going to be inspired by the lovely Laura Bassen! (This lady has amazing style!) Check out her inspiration card this week.


Fabulous CAS design, I love the focal point with stitched detail, how she layered the hearts and the simple sentiment. I chose to CASE the layout, the floral focal point, the stripes and sentiment placement.


I wanted quite a striking focal point so I made this quilled flower. I'm not going to lie, this took AGES to make! I just bought this fabulous new quilling book - Quilled Flowers (A Garden of 35 Paper Projects) by Alli Bartkowski, it has how to make these lovely Zinnia flowers in it. When I looked at it in the book it didn't look like it was going to take as long as it did but I started it so I HAD to finish it!!


It's not even perfect (visible paper joins) but hey I know for next time (when I have several hours to kill!). I did learn some new techniques that I hadn't tried before like cupping, to make the layers stand up.


The leaves were not part of the project, I'm pretty sure I've seen these somewhere online, very easy to do, cut out leaf shape, score and stitch centre and use a needle nose tweezers to pinch and twist the vein lines in the leaves.


Here's something that was quick and easy, the sentiment!! 'Hello Sunshine!' from Sticker Sentiments - Spring by SRM Stickers.


The white grosgrain ribbon is from the Craft Fairy. The stripy background I stamped using one of the new sets from Waltzingmouse Stamps - Heirloom Patterns (this one's designed by Anya). I stamped it using VersaMagic Tea Leaves. Don't forget to pop over to CASE Study and check out the amazing creations from the DT. If you have time this week play along, we'd love to see your creations. : )

Chupa
Amy Wanford
Christina Maclaren
Debby Hughes
Jean Martin
Maureen Plut
Teresa Kline
Teneale Williams

23 comments

  1. Gorgeous!
    Not only the inspiration card...
    which I love...
    but your interpretation!
    That quilled flower is stunning...
    even with paper lines ;)...
    and I admire you greatly for even undertaking it...
    just stunning!
    And that stamped background...
    perfectly gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very lovely ... beautiful quilled flower

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah!! Clare - absolutely beautiful - I love your quilled cards! I can't even begin to know how long this took you create - its just so incredibly pretty!! & clever you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was sin da wieder tolle Inspirationen zu sehen. Da weiß man gar nicht wo man anfangen soll. Wunderschöne Karten habe sie gestaltet.Freue mich auch schon auf meine neuen Stempelchen.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! You are one amazing (and patient) crafter! This is amazing! I can't get over those perfectly shaped petals, but the leaves are just as beautifully detailed. Incredible CASE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the leaves - that's a new technique to me. The flower is gorgeous and no doubt took a long time to make, but so worth it. The whole card deserves a frame!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous! I'm so happy to see others starting to use quilling on cards! I do love your zinnia and your interpretation!
    hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the time and effort shows off; this is so so lovely. Perfect in evey detail; wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your flower...your card is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first thought when I saw this was, "Wow!!" Then I thought, "Oh, man, I can't afford to add quilling to my arsenal!" ;) I love it! (And I don't think I'll be quilling anytime soon...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quilling is gorgeous, Clare! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on the quilling, Clare! I have made a few quilled creatures, so I know they can be putzy... It may have taken you hours, but now you're a master! The leaves are lovely, too. Great take on the inspiration photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this is beautiful! I loved the inspiration card, but your interpretation is stunning! I love quilling, and this is gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning so much work..

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!WOW! a beautiful, inspiration, and fantastic flower. you have so much patience to do this, what gorgeous time spent. thank you so much for sharing. Pattie J.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Clare, This is surely a masterpiece! I am so glad that you finished the project!! I thought of trying quilling...maybe later. You have inspired me!! I hope that this card will go to someone VERY special. ( I love it when my friends tell me that they save all my cards.) Thank you for sharing with us'

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Clare, this is fabulous! I have a friend that does quilling, so I know the amount of work that went into this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!!!beautiful flower!
    Nati from Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  18. Omg this is fabulous Clare! It looks like it took ages too. But oh so pretty. One lucky person who's going to receive this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Clare... looked quickly the other day... and then, again tonite and said "Did she quill that!!" WOW... yes I can imagine is took ages to make... it's gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.