Nina B Designs - 2nd Blog Hop!

Sunday, April 15, 2012



Welcome to the NinaB Designs's 2nd blog hop! We had a great time last month and we just want to thank you for your enthusiasm and encouraging words. The NBD team has new projects to show you today featuring NinaB Designs Spellbinders™ Paper Arts (Home Sweet Home and Sewing Elements), The Craft's Meow Stamps, and Want2Scrap bling.

We have added a new twist to our hop. Not only do we have tons of inspiration for you, but we also are joining in the Crafty Friends' challenge that you can participate in. And of course, there will be prizes up for grabs! You will find more info below.

For my project I focused on the flower dies in the Spellbinders Home Sweet Home set. When I was looking at them I thought they're just the right shape for hydrangea flowers. I hadn't made a hydrangea flower before but I was dying to have a go! So I made a card and matching gift box featuring one of my favorite flowers the blue hydrangea.


I did have a bit of a search in blogland for any tutorials on how to go about making these flowers and I stumbled upon one that inspired me at Kittie Kraft. Kittie used a lot of smaller punched flowers on her hydrangeas and they look fabulous, the flower dies in the Spellbinders Home Sweet Home set are a bit larger so I didn't need as many pieces. To achieve the height I used a series of circles layered on top of one another with foam tape and then attached the individual flowers.


On the card I used a combo of the large flower die around the two outer layers and the smaller flower die for the centre. I used the top of a pen and a foam mat to shape each flower into a cupped shape. The gorgeous bling on this card is from Classy Corners - Class by Nina Brackett at Want2Scrap. The sentiment on the card is from one of Nina's retired stamp sets from Layers of Color.


I didn't have the exact shade of blue card I wanted to make the blue hydrangeas so I mixed up some acrylic paint and painted some sheets of white card (front and back), left to dry, then die cut the flowers. For the leaves, I cut a simple leaf shape from green card, scored down the middle, then pinched and twisted the veins with a tweezers. (I think I'll have to do a little tutorial!) I inked the tops of the leaves with Antique Linen Distress Ink.


It's important that the circles you layer the flowers onto are the same color so you can't see them. I love the dimension of these flowers!


I made a simple white box and decorated the top with some little bits left over from the Classy Corners - Class from Want2Scrap and the sides with Beautiful Bling Borders - Fancy Waves from Want2Scrap.


These borders really add a special touch to projects and I love how you can trim the pieces you want. They go such a long way!


For this smaller flower I only used the smaller flower die from the Spellbinders Home Sweet Home set.


The little tag is from the same set and I stamped it with a stamp from the Sew Lovely set from The Crafts Meow. It's the 'Made for you from the heart stamp' but I masked the bits I didn't need. I also added a little bit of left over bling from the Classy Corners - Class set from Want2Scrap.



THE CHALLENGE: If you choose to participate in the challenge, create a new project that uses two die cuts. They don't have to come from two different die cut sets. Then, link it to the Crafty Friends' challenge blog. One participant will win the Sewing Elements dies. You can enter as many as you want.

THE RULES: Leave a comment on as many blog hop stops as possible. FOUR commenters left on the NinaB Designs team blogs will be picked to win prizes. One comment per blog please. This is open to our international friends. Here are the links to the NBD team:

THE PRIZES: There are several prizes to be won. One Crafty Friends' challenge blog participant will be randomly picked to get the Spellbinders' Sewing Elements dies



Four commenters left on the NinaB Designs team blogs will be picked to receive the following:



The Craft's Meow's Lovely Birds set

Finally, please consider liking the following Facebook pages that are represented on today's hop:
We hope you enjoy the projects we're sharing with you today and enter the Crafty Friends challenge as well!

69 comments

  1. Wow, this is just stunning! This must have taken some patience!!! I love hydrangeas, this is so beautiful!!! I may have to give this a go on a smaller scale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!! Love your card, your hydrangea is so beautiful!! I'm your new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Clare - you are amazing - I need to create a Hydrangea and you have inspired me - this is gorgeous and so creative! Love the box too - the bling is perfect! Thank you for the inspiration Clare! {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hydrangea is so lifelike and such an adorable box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing project- I really love how you made those hydrangea- thank you for your instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely - very pretty!
    Sandra ltb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Growing up, we had a lovely hydrangea bush at the front stairs. Your hydrangeas have brought back wonderful childhood memories. The card and box are lovely, and the flowers set them off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This project makes me giddy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful! Look forward to the tutorial :) E

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...this is really pretty! Amazing job creating that hydrangea!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so beautiful, love the flower

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Hydrangea flower. It turned out so pretty. :)

    hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning...that color blue is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful! I love that you improvised to get the color you want. It's really gorgeous and pops against the green and white. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful flowers and leaves. The box and card with bling are fab.
    God bless,
    Peggy Allen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome box love the flower I have that in my flower bed and its amazing that it looks so real great job. love the added bling it gives that Special touch. thanks for sharing
    abbraddock@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is absolutely realistic and stunning Clare!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hydrangeas are my absolute fave... these are GORGEOUS! Would love to see a tutorial on how to make them! Thanks for sharing!
    Crafty Hugs,
    Pendra
    pendrasplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!! Your Hydrangea is gorgeous! My favorite flower :-) Love how you blinged up the box as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE it. I love hydrangeas and to make one with the die cuts is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Exquisitely pretty! I am in total admiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so beautiful, love the flower, is very realistic

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it, love it ,love it..gorgeous hydrangeas difficult word.
    we call them hortensia. love them ,I had a big blue one at my old house.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I live the dimensions! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing! Very beauty! I love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. what stunningly lovely flowers you've created for your project.It's a terrific hop.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok, wow, this is the most beautifully intricate amazing project that I've seen today! How that bloom just pops off the box. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is simply stunning!! I absolutely love the gorgeous flowers!! So beautiful :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! What an incredible set! So gorgeous. So creative. LOVE all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very pretty card and box. Love the hydrangea you made and the bling on the box.
    slrdowney at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those flowers are stunning! Gorgeous set!!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Clare, Your card is amazing!! So much detail in the flower: just stunning!! It looks real!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a grand treat it would be to receive such a gorgeous gift and card! Your hydrangeas are beyond beautiful!! Wonderful, wonderful job! TFS and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful project! The hydrangeas look amazing! Love this kind of flower!

    ReplyDelete
  35. STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS!!!LOVE this box..so much work ..its so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This reminds me of a sweet elderly neighbor lady sharing a hint to turn my lavendar hydrangeas blue by burying a nail under it. It worked! Your box is soooooo beautiful! That layering technique is brilliant and what results. Fabulous project! Hugs, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  37. I LOVE your FUN creation!! The colors and the fun details make it so BEAUTIFUL!! THANKS for sharing and for the chances to win!! Have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful! I really like your attention to detail! Stunning project

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful box and card. Love the hydrangeas!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Really like this Clare - thanks for sharing the technique and I would love to see a tutorial on the leaves too - they look so real!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love this.....I didn't see the bling until you show it....I was looking at that flower....awesome.....thank you so much for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful box and love the bright color of the hydrangea. Such a lovely gift anytime.....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your set is just gorgeous!!! Wow! I love how you made this gorgeous hydrangea!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh wow Clare, simply stunning. Saw your cards in Cardmaking and Papercraft Magazine (May issue) this morning - love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is just gorgeous! Love the flowers & bling!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Xiomara
    Just Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thats incredible! Love all the detail in this.

    ReplyDelete
  48. oH MY GOODNESS! This is so unique and amazing! Gorgeous colors and those flowers are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  49. OMG this is totally stunning!!! I'm in awe! it must have taken forever to make... I'm a new follower and I can't wait to see your next creations

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh my goodness!! That blue!!!!! What a beautiful color you made.. and the hydrangea is just to die for.. So happy I found your blog through this hop! Have a wonderful evening

    ReplyDelete
  51. Beautiful Hydrangea! Love the bling too.

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a gorgeous blossom Clare! The bling add a nice touch of elegance!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Clare, that is spectacular! I love the simplicity and boldness of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Stunning Clare!! Oh I want to think/create like you...just fabulous creation and so very unique!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi Clare,
    What a gorgeous project! Nina's dies are lovely, and I love what you did with them! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Oh Clare -- your card and box are just stunning! Those hydrangeas are gorgeous, as are the bling swirls!

    ReplyDelete
  57. AMAZING box & card! Hope I win!

    ReplyDelete
  58. So INSPIRING! Love the hydrangia blossom (great work to get the color just right ;) & such a pretty idea~
    Your card and box are beautiful!! Great use of the die cut too~ Karen

    ReplyDelete
  59. How totally gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  60. This is just perfect! I love how everything coordinates so well.... ESP love the bling!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Love your beautiful creation. We've featured it on our Facebook wall today.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.