Nina B Designs - 3rd Blog Hop!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012


Welcome to another NinaB Designs blog hop. The NBD team and I have something exciting for you today. Nina challenged us to create something that uses the NinaB Designs Spellbinders die cuts from non-paper products on our projects. Did you know that Spellbinders dies can cut all kinds of material? Kim Hupke, the Educational Director of Spellbinders Paper Arts did a video showing all types of products you can cut with the dies that you can find HERE.

For my project today, I die cut Cotton Fabric with NinaB Designs' Sewing Elements  dies. To achieve the lovely look of cotton but still hold on to the detail in the embossing I adhered the cotton fabric to light card. (I adhered the fabric to card using strips of double sided tape). Since I used Cotton Fabric as my chosen non-paper material I decided to go with a sewing theme and made a trio of bookmark tags. I don't know about you but I don't make enough bookmarks and end up shoving a scrap piece of card into the book I'm reading. SO considering I'm a paper crafter there's no excuse not to have some lovely bookmarks and some to share!


I really didn't want to lose any of the fabulous detail in these dies so using the cotton fabric allowed me to have the best of both worlds, the lovely texture of fabric while still holding the detail of embossing with the card. For each bookmark tag I used Spellbinders Romantic Rectangles as my base.


I accentuated the details of the embossing more by rubbing the surface with Antique Linen Distress Ink. I also added some touches of fabulous bling from Want2Scrap, here I used Beautiful Bling Borders - Endless Waves by Nina Brackett and Beautiful Bling Borders - Fancy Waves.


The pretty sentiment is from Sew Lovely by Nina Brackett at The Crafts Meow, I stamped it using Coffee archival ink. The natural crochet lace is from Wild Orchid Crafts.


The patterned papers I used for each tag are from Echo Park This & That. I also added some little buttons from my stash.


I really found backing the fabric with the card gave a lovely crisp finish and being backed with card gave the fabric more rigidity so I could prop them up with foam tape to add some dimension.


The sentiment I used here is also from the Sew Lovely stamp set from The Crafts Meow. The bling is from Want2Scrap.


I think this one is my favorite of the three. I'll give it to my mom though, she's a seamstress and I think she'll like it!


I was pleasantly surprised how well even the smaller elements in the die set cut so well. Really crisp and sharp.


On each bookmark tag I used some beige seam binding at the top and tied some garden twine into a little bow for some added texture.

Here are the dies I used on my project:




Of course there are some fabulous prizes to be won. Here they are! Enjoy the rest of the blog hop!


Winners will be picked randomly from 5 of the designers' blogs:

58 comments

  1. Adorable Clare ... I think your Mum would love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing, Clare! I love the mostly neutral with color highlights. I have to try the cotton fabric. They add so much interest and texture to any project. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty bookmark tags - loved your choice of fabric
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful looking bookmarkers
    ColleenB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bookmark tags are so pretty. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clare, these tags are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing bookmarks and love the cotton fabric you used on these Clare!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are beautiful tags! I really love that die set.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Tags. Love the colors and the dies you used are awesome. love the Fabric and the patterns.love the colors.thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so pretty! Love these tags Clare. The die-cuts look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful bookmarks. They would make some lovely gifts. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, so pretty!! Lovely details, so feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your book marks are so pretty! I agree they would make great gifts and the one for your mom is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty tag set! The canvas looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are wonderful! I love how you accented the dies with the distress ink. They are so soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! I love the dies you used!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So gorgeous! Bookmarks are a great idea! I never seem to have enough either.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable tags! So, so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous!!! Lovely colors and details

    ReplyDelete
  20. Clare these are just gorgeous! Wow your tags are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They came out so beautifully. I really like how the cotton attached to the card cut.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wowow, love all your cardssssss, the sewing elements are my favorites of spellbinders!!! Congratssss, your blog is amazing!!!! Kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh these are sooo pretty!!! Love this idea!!! Beautiful bookmarks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your bookmarks. They would make a great gift for a crafter!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are fabulous bookmarks - I love how the detail has cut so well, and the finish on each is immaculate.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are gorgeous! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are so adorable! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. BEAUTIFUL Card!! I LOVE your take on the challenge!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow so very pretty! Just love it. I will have to try using cotton. Would never have thought about it...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great bookmarks Clare and thanks for the tip to add the fabric to card with dst. Must give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the look of the cotton. It does hold the embossing look beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful creations! Love them! And I like the soft color combo you used! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your sewing themed bookmarks are lovely Clare. I was really surprised by the level of embossing that came through on the fabric. Great idea to highlight these with a little Antique Linen distress ink. I'm sure your mom will love her bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your projects are just darling! I love these dies and stamps - they're AWESOME! Thanks for this fun hop!
    Blessings,
    Karen L

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love those dies! I am a sew-er too so I'd love to play with them!

    ReplyDelete
  36. your tags are so special. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful set of tags! Lots of great details on each one!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh these projects are lovely!! I love that spellbinders can cut through fabric!

    Venus

    ReplyDelete
  39. These are just adorable. I love all the little embellies you used. Thanks so much for the wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Clare!!!
    REally now---y'all are blowing my socks off with all of your creations!! I am so thankful to get to be introduced to your work!! Your tags are over the top, under the bottom and ALL around!!!! SUPER job!!! I love each and every one of them--Thank you so very much for sharing and allowing me to glean from you!!!! be blessed
    ~Beyond Measure
    Tammy
    www.urbeyondmeasure.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. All the bling and stitching make for a beautiful statement.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love your use of the cotton fabric! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  43. These are beautiful bookmarks!
    slrdowney at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great bookmarks. Love your use of fabric, stitching and of course the sewing dies.
    God bless,
    Peggy Allen

    ReplyDelete
  45. WOW! Love your bookmarks, the die cut cotton looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Love the cotton - it looks perfect with these dies and threat you colored them.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Simply stunning Clare - love what you created.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love the detailing on your bookmarks. And I appreciate the reminder to make them!! You're right! As paper crafters, why not use pretty markers and have some on hand to give away or tuck into a card or note for mailing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Very pretty bookmark tags...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Gorgeous tags. I love the look of the fabric with the PP A's background.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.