Spiral Washi Tape Flower Tutorial (lots of photos)

Monday, October 22, 2012



As promised, I put together a tutorial on how to make the Spiral Washi Tape Flower I used on my card that was published in the Nov/Dec issue of Paper Crafts Magazine. It's pretty easy to make and you don't need many materials. The completed flower is 2 1/4" wide (not including the leaves).


I started with a 4" diameter circle of cardstock and drew a rough spiral shape in the center (it doesn't have to be perfect). If you want your finished sized flower to be larger just make your circle bigger.


Cut along the spiral line with a scissors. Don't worry about erasing the pencil lines after you cut it out, it'll be covered by the washi tape.


Now start to cover the spiral with pieces of washi tape, I just teared the pieces, you don't need to be too precise with the edges, the rough edges will add nice texture to the flower.


Once it's completely covered, check the back for any gaps and cover them with pieces of washi tape.


Starting from the outside, (I used a quilling tool to start off the rolling but this is optional, you can use your fingers) begin rolling the spiral.


Continue rolling all the way to the end. I removed the quilling tool about a third of the way through. Roll it nice and tight to form the shape. Once it's completed rolled, release the spiral and allow it to open up. Once you're happy with the size and shape apply a strong craft glue to the base of the flower.


I use a strong craft glue to fix the spiral (you could use a hot glue too) because some washi tapes have a slight waxy finish to them.


Press firmly and hold until the glue has set. Or place something on it to hold in position.


To make the leaves, I drew a simple leaf shape onto some white cardstock and cut out.


Cover the leaves with green washi tape, I covered them with pieces of washi tape going in the direction the veins of a leaf would naturally go. I added a couple of layers of tape.


Once you've completely covered the leaves (front and back), score a line down the middle, fold and using a needle nosed tweezers pinch and twist veins on either side. For more details on this see my leaf tutorial.


The washi tape actually makes the leaves quite sturdy. I added a dollop of glue to adhere them together.


Add some glue to the back of the flower and adhere to the set of leaves. Again I used a strong craft glue.


And here you have the finished flower. These also make great gift box toppers. So you can make a card, embellish with one of these flowers, then make a matching gift box!! I hope you enjoyed the tutorial, if you make any of these flowers I'd love to see them, just leave your link in the comments below.


11 comments

  1. Such a great tutorial! I'm always on the lookout for new Washi ideas! Off to pin this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever and FUN! You are the QUEEN of shabby flowers, Clare! TFS :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool Clare - the Washi gives so much texture and you can customize in about a billion different ways. Thanks for sharing and I hope it is ok to CASE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is fabulous, Clare! thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea, Clare! Will definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I do like this Clare! I'll definitely be giving it a go and will let you see the results. Thanks so much for all the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flower and what a great way to use up some of that Washi I know we all have in our stash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those leaves Clare. They are so clever.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.