Core'dinations Cardstock - Vintage Suitcase Gift Box

Tuesday, June 11, 2013


I've a Core'dinations ColorCore Cardstock project to share with you today. It was a labor of love and I made everything from scratch including the suitcase base. The curved edges on the suitcase were a bit of challenge but it was worth the effort. The base itself is made from recycled corrugated cardboard and I just covered it with a fabulous turquoise cardstock from Core Essentials Bright by Core'dinations. The ridges in the corrugated cardboard made it possible to make the curved edges.


The more I use Core'dinations cardstock the more I love it. It made making the faux leather straps and handle a breeze! The Tim Holtz Kraft Core Shattered Collection was just perfect for this. I doubled up strips from the Shattered Collection to make the straps, lightly sanding the edges with my Sand It Gadget. I used Tim Holtz Idea-ology Hitch Fasteners for the handle.


On the top of the suitcase I embossed some more cardstock, this time from Core Essentials Pastels, using two embossing folders (Airmail and Compass by Sizzix), I inked it with Distress Inks and added a touch of gilding wax.


I love the two embossing folders together and the touch of gilding wax really brings out the detail of the embossing.


The flower I made from some more Core'dinations ColorCore Cardstock using the Die'sire Rose Large and Rose Small quilling dies from Crafter's Companion.


I used some Distress Stains to color the seam binding and Core Tag. I used a resist technique using clear embossing powder and the postage/mail stamp, then inked over it with Distress Inks. I then added some more stamping with Coffee Ink (stamps are from Crafty Secrets and Artemio)


The inside I decided to make pink and lined with some Spotted Jillian Dot from Core'dinations. I attached the flower and tag to one of the straps so it was easy to get on and off the box.


In case you're wondering how the back looks, here it is. I made some hinges from sturdy cardboard, similar in weight to grunge board. I colored them with some Distress Paint - Tarnished Brass.


The finished size of the box is 7 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 3 1/2", a nice size and it fits my cards just perfectly. It makes a great little storage box.


It turned out quite pretty! This is one of my favorite color combos too. The Core'dinations cardstock had just the most perfect texture when sanded for vintage projects! I hope you liked it! : )

11 comments

  1. Oh so lovely, Clare! Love your color choices, and that rose is the topper on the cake! A real labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Very cool project, Clare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful box! I'm inspired to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, its beautiful Clare - love all the details and what a fabulous addition to your craft room. Margie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is incredible ... a fabulous piece of work! Who would have thought this was just cardboard and paper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. VERY pretty! Super cute suitcase, gorgeous flower and an adorable tag too! Awesome, TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! This vintage suitcase is FAN-TAS-TIC Clare!! Your distressed straps really look like leather! And I love that you lined the inside. Then there's that fabulous tag too. Girl...this project is AMAZING!! (sorry for all the caps...I just couldn't help myself...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So amazing Clare!! I love the colors that you put together, the embossing with the gilded wax (so pretty) and the wonderful flower! What a work of art!! Hugs, H in Healdsbrurg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow! So pretty Clare. Love the shape and the colors. The flower embellishments is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clare, gorgeous, i need to make one of these beauties.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.