A little bit of chalkboard..

Tuesday, November 12, 2013


A little while ago I took a fun online mini workshop by Christy Tomlinson on The Art of Chalk Lettering. It wasn't aimed at card-makers it was more for learning how to create the lettering on full size decorative chalkboards for home decor etc but the basic principles worked for cards too. So I experimented with some Black Magic cardstock from Core'dinations, it makes the perfect base for chalkboard cards because of the slightly textured surface and you can sand the edges to reveal the core color.


I didn't use any stamps on my first card, the text I printed and lightly traced onto the Black Magic cardstock then I used a white chalk pen (I used a uni Posca white pen) over the text. Then I just added some doodles around the text and the drew some lines with a ruler for the frame. I also used a white pastel pencil to add some more chalk lines. The pastel pencil works much better than an ordinary white pencil. To add a little color I used some blending chalks. The flower I made using some more Core'dinations cardstock and Spellbinders Rose Creations dies.


Next up I combined a little stamping with this one. The main focal image is from Autumn Borders from The Craft's Meow, stamped using embossing ink and embossed in white. I added color using blending chalks. Then I traced on the lettering and doodled everything else.


I love how they turned out and I still really love the chalkboard look! I hope the trend stays around for a while longer! Don't forget if you'd like to learn even more about The Art of Chalk Lettering then check out Christy Tomlinson's mini workshop. Thanks for dropping by today! : )


4 comments

  1. Absolutely stunning, the chalkboard effect is fantastic as is your doodling. Gorgeous flower too. Wonderful designs. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your cards here! I really love the chalkboard effect and your technique is AWESOME. Thanks for inspiring me further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! Just pinned them so I can refer to them when I do my next chalkboard card!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.