A spring painting!

Friday, April 4, 2014


I painted! For the first time in seven years and I forgot how much I loved the process! Don't worry I'm still making cards and I love paper-crafts but I felt the time was right to start painting again. So I thought I'd share it here with you! : )


I still had all the art supplies (I used acrylics on a 10x12" canvas) from years ago. I have lots of palettes, a table top easel and lots of other gadgets but I'm still most comfortable using an old plate (one that belonged to my granny), a chipped old glass, a bundle of paper towels and some of my favourite brushes that I've had for years. I used to work from photographs but I felt the urge to paint directly from life. I did take a couple of photos for reference in case my narcissi started to wilt faster than expected.


I managed to finish this in just two days, which is pretty fast for me. I was mindful not to overwork the painting because I really wanted it to be soft and fairly loose. The narcissi came straight from the garden and the little jug belonged to my granny, it was actually quite plain so I added a strip of embroidered floral ribbon from my stash!


The colours were really important for me, I just love a yellow and turquoise colour combo, it's so uplifting. Once I was fairly happy with all the elements I added some washes to add a softer, warmer tone to the painting. I can see the imperfections but I like how it turned out and to be honest I'm never really happy with anything that I've painting but I like the feel of this one. So it will have a permanent home in our kitchen diner after I get it framed.

Oh and I'm starting an art journal (I've been wanting to do one for ages but wasn't sure where to start!) and now that I'm painting again I hope an art journal will keep the momentum going! So I'll be sharing a page or two from that here too. But you'll still be seeing plenty of cards and paper-crafts from me too! Thanks for dropping by today, have a great weekend! : )




14 comments

  1. This is beautiful! I agree...yellow and turquoise are wonderful together. This is such a happy painting!!
    Oh, I wish I could paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous subject, Clare! Just love it - you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just gorgeous Clare! Didn't know you painted - I used to draw but haven't done it in years - maybe I need to try again! But nonetheless this is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! This is stunning! I have been going to evening classes to learn drawing and painting, but I struggled with the acrylics as they dried so quickly. I am in the middle of doing a painting from a photo of snowdrops, using acrylics - but I'm looking forward to going back to watercolours afterwards.
    Thank you for your kind comments on my blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your painting is beautiful Clare! I think there is a wannabe painter in many of us. i did attend classes but found that process too formal. Spring flowers just beg to be painted and you have done an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so very talented! Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! (Now scan your painting and print it out to make a card and you will have done double duty.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean, that's not a bad idea!

      Delete
    2. totally agree- great painting - you could get small photos printed out and use on cards - can't wait to see.

      Delete
  8. absolutely gorgeous Clare!!!. I love how you painted it and interpreted it> It has such a warm glow. You definitely have an artists eye!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness Clare - you are INCREDIBLE!!!! I am in awe :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did not know that you paint but like your other artistic endeavors, this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.