Big Blooms and Chalkboard

Wednesday, May 7, 2014


Yes, I love big flowers. I finally had a chance to experiment making some of the flowers in a handmade flower book I bought a while ago called Paper to Petal, most of the flowers in the book are made using crepe paper or tissue paper and there is a lot of information on techniques in the book.


There's also templates at the back of the book for each of the flowers. Once you learn the basic techniques you can come up with different types of flowers of your own. The centre of the flower I made using some fringed Core'dinations cardstock. I did use a color wash on the crepe paper and left it to dry but I also added some dry brush hints of acrylic paint afterwards once I had assembled the flower. The leaves are made from more Core'dinations cardstock that I shaped and sanded.


The background is some black Core'dinations cardstock embossed using Poppy Anna Griffin embossing folder, which I heat embossed clear then sanded to leave a shine in the debossed parts. I revisited the chalkboard technique on this little tag, I practiced a little hand-lettering using a white pen, then added the shadow and border detail using a white pastel pencil. The white stamped leaves are a little stamp I hand-carved, more on that in a later post!


I know the flower is pretty big but after I made it I couldn't resist adding it to a card, it would also make a fabulous gift topper. I also made a lemon peony, I'd love a bouquet of these but that would take ages to make!


I'm glad I finally tried some of the flowers in this book, it was actually my first time using crepe paper, I've always been a bit nervous of using it but it makes really delicate, realistic flowers, you just have to be a bit careful not to tear it when working with it. That's all for now, have a great day! : )


3 comments

  1. Just gorgeous! The chalkboard paper looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fabulous flowers you have made. Sounds like a wonderful book - I need to check it out. I love big flowers too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the big flower on this pretty card!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.