Watercolor effect

Wednesday, May 21, 2014


I've been busy, busy working on magazine commissions, it's that time of year when we're creating for those special Christmas issues! In between deadlines, I managed to whip up a quick card focusing on the watercolor technique, that seems to be everywhere right now!! I had some of the stamped elements left over from one of my Core'dinations projects. I used some of their fabulous 110lb Premium White Cardstock on this card.


The gorgeous flower and butterfly stamps are from Cling Jumbo Lovely Garden and Cling Jumbo Hydrangea Garden both from Stampendous. I stamped each element onto some 110lb Premium White Cardstock from Core'dinations using VersaMark and heat embossed in a soft white. Then I added touches of color to these using Distress Markers (Squeezed Lemonade, Tattered Rose, Spun Sugar, Shabby Shutters, Crushed Olive, Tumbled Glass and Broken China), then using a wet paintbrush I spread the color to create the watercolor look. For the background I cut another rectangle of 110lb Premium White Cardstock from Core'dinations, wet sections of it using a wet paintbrush then I added drops of color in the form of Distress Stains (Spun Sugar, Tumbled Glass and Peeled Paint), I also flicked some color from the brush directly onto the card.


I love how it turned out, the white heat embossing really goes well with the watercolor look, it keeps the whole effect light and fresh! For the sentiment I used a stamp from Vintage Typewriter from Stampendous stamped in Memento London Fog, which is a nice soft grey, black would have overpowered the card I think. The twill ribbon is from May Arts.


I've another Art Journalling post in the works, this time focusing on using grids on your pages. It's a great way to divide up the space. Thanks for dropping by, have a great day! : )


6 comments

  1. What a beautiful card, Clare - love the soft pastels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your soft and pretty card! I am going to try watercolouring some cards too when I get time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty card. I love the flowers and butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love a video showing how you made this card! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is so beautiful! Love the soft colors and watercolor textures. Simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.