Hand-carved floral stamps and hand-lettering

Wednesday, July 30, 2014


As you can see I'm hooked on the hand-carved stamps and at the moment my focus has been on florals! They're just so quick to make, it's very addictive! I've been longing to improve my hand-lettering skills so I attempted a hand-lettered sentiment on this card, along with some free-hand doodles!


I wanted this card to be bright and cheery so I used Mowed Lawn, Picked Raspberry, Barn Door and Ripe Persimmon Distress Inks to stamp the florals.


It can be pretty daunting to attempt hand-lettering on a card, the voice in my head was telling me 'what are you thinking, hand-lettering, that's way too hard!' but hey if you don't try and experiment then you won't really learn and progress. So, I took a few pics as I went along, starting with pencil makes it a lot less scary!


After I stamped the floral frame I added some ruler lines in pencil, roughly where I wanted my text. I used one of the alphabets from Creative Lettering by Jenny Doh as reference, just eye-balling it, I penciled in my sentiment.


Once I was fairly happy with the lettering I went over it using a fine tip black pen. As soon as it was dry I erased all the pencil lines. I added a little more stamping and added a frame using Mowed Lawn Distress Marker.


Never content to leave things alone! I added some shadow lines using Mowed Lawn Distress Marker.


Here's some of the hand-carved stamps I used, along with a few others, I love how the watering can turned out, can't wait to make a card using that one!


I hope I've inspired you just a little maybe to try carving your own stamps and to try some hand-lettering on your cards. Thanks for dropping by!


4 comments

  1. Gorgeous Clare, your hand carved stamp is fabulous as is your lettering. Wish I could do lettering so effective. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare, I love your card! You are so brave doing the sentiment yourself - I would never have guessed it wasn't a stamp, too! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty card! It's so satisfying to carve your own stamps and then see them "in print" so to speak. Your lettering is good too - I couldn't achieve that look at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful card - like the mowed lawn accents around the custom stamp prints

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.