Magazine Collage Flower - Quick Tutorial

Wednesday, December 10, 2014


I've a quick and easy project to share with you today using a simple magazine collage technique. This project was originally going to be published in the March 2015 issue of Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Magazine but sadly as we all know they cease publication with the February issue. Anyway I thought I'd share it here with a quick tutorial. Here's the card I made using the collaged flower.


All you need for this are some pages from magazines, advertisements work pretty well for this as they usually have large blocks of colour in them. You'll need about four different shades of one colour for the flower, I used a light pink, peach, reddish hue and a burgundy. You can use flat colour from magazine adverts but it's nice to add some more textured ones too. The grassy page I used worked well for the leaves.


Your shapes really don't need to be perfect for this. Just cut some very rough petal shapes, starting with the palest colour, this will be your first layer. Then to create the shading effect, cut some smaller pieces from darker magazine paper for each petal.


You'll also need a yellow centre and some leaves. Again, you just cut rough organic shapes for these. Then begin sticking them down to a piece of cardstock.


To create a more natural effect you can overlap the petals slightly. It's best to lay out all your petals before you start sticking them down.


Add the yellow centre, I used a darker shade of orange inside of that and added a large sequin for a bit of sparkle.


Then simply cut out your collaged flower and add to your paper crafted project. This is a great recycling project to do with kids too, you need very little materials and the possibilities are endless! Thanks for dropping by today! : )


2 comments

  1. It's beautiful Clare. I'm so sad that Papercrafts mag is going out of business!! And I'm gong to CASE your card for a bundle of cards I'm doing as a gift: I needed to make one more card, and I love your layout! Have a great Christmas!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, yes it is sad Paper Crafts is going, I'm really going to miss their creativity. Delighted you're going to CASE my card! Happy Christmas to you! : )

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.