Do something today...

Thursday, January 22, 2015


I've a new illustrated card to share with you today! I've combined a few different techniques here, it started with some hand-carved stamps I made (the watering-can I made a while ago, the spring flowers are new!), I stamped the scene using pigment inks, added some watercolours, pencils and hand-lettering. I took some photos along the way so you can see the process from start to finish! : )


I've tried a few different types of rubber blocks to carve my stamps and I'm happiest with Speedball Speedy-Cut, the cream/beige stuff. It cuts really well and stamps perfectly. I'm still using up other stuff at the moment but won't be buying anything else apart from that going forward.


I stamped all the flowers,  foliage and watering-can using Memento-Luxe Inks, my favourite inks! Once dry I coloured the background and foreground using watercolour paints. I went back in and added some highlights and shadows with coloured pencils.


I wanted to add some unique text so I added some hand-lettering. It's such a fun technique but it's definitely something that needs practice, practice, practice! I based my lettering on two different fonts, Stringfellows and Brave. I really need something to look at when I'm lettering but I don't like to trace letters, I like the irregularity of doing by eye. So I lightly penciled in the letters, you can erase the pencil lines later.


I like paint so I used a small, fine brush to watercolour the lettering. If you're not comfortable with paint then you could use markers or coloured pencils.


I mixed up the colours of the lettering by picking tones from the stamped illustration. It's safe enough to pick a few colours for your lettering but I'd stick within the range of colours you've used in the rest of your project.


For the white text I again penciled in the letters first and then went over it with white acrylic paint. You may need to go over the letters a couple of times to get a bright white finish. And that was it, I simply scanned the illustration and printed it onto card, I like to keep my originals untouched.


I hope you enjoyed a peek into my process and that you might give one of the techniques a try. It's nice to try something different and create something totally unique!

Oh, if you're on Instagram you can get more regular updates on what I'm working on, along with behind the scenes peeks and other random stuff by following me! : ) Thanks for dropping by today!


8 comments

  1. Absolutely amazing! You are a true artist!! LOVE your card, the colors, the design, the uniqueness! Thanks so much for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I really appreciate your comment! : )

      Delete
  2. Clare, that is just stunning!! I love the colors, your layout, the sentiment and lettering, and the fact that you CARVED the stamps yourself!! You need to make prints of that or get a company to print it up for cards: it is just gorgous!!! What an artist you are! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Helen! You're very kind : )

      Delete
  3. super card - I want to try making stamps soon - so original

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I highly recommend making stamps! It's a lot of fun! : )

      Delete
  4. Thanks for such a great tutorial, the finished card is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie! I'm so glad you liked it!

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.