A Touch of Spring - Quilled Daffodils

Friday, February 20, 2015


We have a few daffodils in bloom in our garden already and there are lots more with full buds on them, ready to burst! So in anticipation of this sunny display I made some quilled daffodils. I needed a birthday card anyway so this is the result!


I quilled all the flowers first, I had made the facing daffodils before but I had to come up with something new for the side facing daffodils, just for a bit of variety. All the shapes are pretty easy, loose coils were shaped into eye shapes for the petals and a coil for the centre shaped into a cup for the centre, I usually seal the inside with clear drying glue to prevent any movement. The same shapes were used for the side facing daffodils but I used a heart shape (teardrop shape with the rounded end pressed inwards in the middle with your nail) for the trumpet. The foliage is a mix of two shades of green, mainly wheatear shapes, but I also added some spirals and each stem is just a single strip glued on it's side.


I wanted to keep the background fresh, so I added some watercolour paint to the top of my card and blended it downwards. I also added some fun hand lettering, sketched lightly in pencil first then painted over with watercolours. It turned out pretty cute!


I decided to layer and overlap the flowers in the layout, it looked more natural, as if you were looking at them in your garden or in a field on a fresh spring day!


I hope spring is starting to appear wherever you are in the world, it's my favourite time of year! I love the anticipation of what is to come. That's all for now, thanks for dropping by today! : )




10 comments

  1. I love it. Quilling is such a beautiful craft and you did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! You trely are a great artist!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This is a piece of art for sure!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to give quilling a try one day and still got your quilling feature with the peacock in CMPC, but a little worried how the cards arrive if mailed! Love the extra 3D effect on this card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole. You should give quilling a try it's fun, I wouldn't start with the peacock though, that was challenging even for me! Keep an eye out for a great quilling special coming up soon in CMPC! I usually post/mail my quilled cards in a DVD mailing box. The quilled cards I make are usually for special occasion cards so I don't mind a little extra postage cost.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.