Sweetie greeting card

Saturday, February 14, 2015


Happy Valentine's Day! Here's a card I made using the hand-carved stamp I created in the last post. I took a few photos of how the finished card came together.


I stamped the 'I love you' sweet stamp onto 300gsm smooth card using Memento Luxe Love Letter pigment ink. I used a mix of watercolours and acrylics to fill in the pink sweet and create the highlights to give the illusion of raised surface of the sweet.  I used a blue/brown mix to create the shaded background colour wash.


Next I wanted to add some hand-lettering, I based the letters on the Stringfellows font, sketching it freehand in pencil on a piece of paper first then lightly tracing it onto my illustration.


I went over the pencil lines using a blue/brown acrylic paint mix, it looks black but it gives a slightly softer look, if you use pure black paint it can look a bit harsh. I wanted the 'sweetie' lettering to stand out a bit more so I outlined it in white acrylic paint, softening the edges with a white pastel pencil. I also added some more white bits to the surface of the sweet, to create the chalky finish those sweets have. The finishing touches were added with coloured pencils. I love the texture! Then I simply scanned and printed the finished illustration.


That's all for now, I hope you're having a great Valentine's Day! ; ) See you next week and thanks for dropping by!




8 comments

  1. This is totally stunning, Clare! Love the texture and dimension you have created on your hand carved design - it really looks 3D :) My jaw dropped when I saw how you created this card. Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I really appreciate the feedback!

      Delete
  2. I love your work and this card is a real piece of art. I can't believe that it was all made by hand. Hope you'll find more use for that stamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind comments! : )

      Delete
  3. Wow Clare, how adorable I love that stamp!! You should make more and sell them, I'd buy one for sure. Maybe make one and let somebody win one, wink, wink, lol!!! Thanks for the awesome inspiration and sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Clare, and I'm still amazed that you make your own stamps!! I loved the tutorial you did on how to make the stamps too. I saw the carving tools for sale at an antique store on Saturday and thought of you! :-) Have a great day! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! I love making them, I'm working on a few new ones now. So glad you liked the tutorial. I love going to antique stores, it's dangerous for my wallet though! : )

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.