Love Pattern

Monday, March 16, 2015


I've always loved patterns and I've done a few online courses on surface pattern design but I started an absolutely inspiring course on Creativebug last week. It's the first time I've really seen the process of designing a repeat explained so clearly, it really clicked with me! This little pattern was a quick exercise on understanding block repeats. It was so much fun to see the pattern emerging! If you're fascinated by pattern and want to learn more you can check out the details at Creativebug - How to design fabric. It's a five week course and it just started last week.


Here's the initial sketch I did, the sketch in the top left is the basic pattern which I then traced four times to see the pattern. The area outlined is the repeat pattern elements, I traced these onto a rubber stamp block and carved out. It did take a while to carve but it was worth the effort!


I inked it up with some Memento Luxe ink and stamped the pattern! SO much fun to do! I'm thinking now I probably should have left the stamp as a rectangle and not cut around the shapes, it might have been easier to line things up more accurately. I'll know for next time!


The next class is on March 18th, I can't wait to check it out! It's a holiday here tomorrow, St.Patrick's Day! Should be a fun day, we'll be checking out the parade in the morning, luckily it looks like it's going to be dry tomorrow! Happy St.Patrick's Day! : )


6 comments

  1. superb idea and the outcome is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a professional finish - your blue and white print looks perfect! You must have such patience to carve out a pattern like that but it is totally gorgeous. Can't wait to see more patterns. Have a great St Patrick's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah! It did take a while to carve but the stamping part made it worthwhile! Looking forward to coming up with more patterns! We had a great St.Patrick's Day! : )

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.