Primroses and Narcissi Pattern

Sunday, March 22, 2015


Yes, I'm still enjoying playing with pattern with Creativebug's How to Design Fabric online course, it's been brilliant, I just wish I had more time to make more! For my second pattern I went out to the garden for some inspiration and picked some spring flowers. I ended up choosing Primroses and Narcissi, I really liked their shapes.


I sketched their basic forms, including some foliage, keeping it fairly simple. Then I worked out the pattern repeat. I traced this in pencil and transferred it onto my rubber carving block. (I used a Speedball carving block, the blue one, not my favourite but that's what I had!)


In the online course the tutor used a lino block and block printing inks but I worked with just my rubber carving block and Memento Luxe Inks. I don't exactly have fond memories of carving lino at school but I hear there are softer blocks available now!


I used my old lino cutting tools and the new Japanese ones I bought online, they are a lot sharper. I carved around the main shapes first then carved all the bits in between. Ok, I did try and leave the block as a rectangle and block print it but I found it hard to line up the repeats, I guess my brain is conditioned as a stamper so I cut off the excess just leaving the shapes and stamped them that way! : ) Here's a multi-coloured version, tricky to ink up but I like the colour combo!


I'm looking forward to the next class, they go live each Wednesday on Creativebug, there are five classes altogether. Designing digitally is next, should be interesting! : ) Thanks for dropping by.




2 comments

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.