'Violas in a Teacup'

Thursday, March 12, 2015


Every now and then I get the urge to do a painting. I love the whole process, the initial inspiration, setting up, sketching the subject and of course enjoying the feeling of paint gliding across a stretched canvas! I had this painting rolling around in my head for a while now, I knew I wanted to paint this teacup I had sitting on my shelf for a long time. I knew I wanted to fill it with some plants and a few weeks ago I saw a multi-pack of violas in the shop, so I carefully planted some in the tea cup, I added some pieces of polystyrene and a little sand in the bottom for some drainage. The plants weren't in flower when I bought them and they seemed to take forever to bloom, but when they did (after moving them to a sunnier windowsill) it was worth the wait. I also planted up another little china bowl because I had some extra plants over.

I decided to work from photos I took this time instead of from life because I wasn't that confident about painting a teacup and I find it easier to work from photos. I like to turn the painting and photo upside-down and to the side when I'm working so I can really look at the shapes, it really helps! They look really blue on screen but weren't that blue printed out. I worked from both photos because I liked the position of some of the flowers in the bowl. I used acrylic paints on an 8x8" stretched canvas for this painting, in case you were wondering!


I wanted to add something to the foreground so I picked some of the violas and used these as reference when painting them in. Once I was finished I sealed the painting with a satin varnish, I'm not mad on a matte finish or super glossy look either, the satin is a nice somewhere in between!


The whole painting only took two days, which I was happy about, I like to work on a painting from start to finish all in one go, I find if I leave a painting for a while I lose the flow of energy and tend to abandon it! Glad this one made it! : )


It's happily sitting next to it's neighbour on my shelf in my craft room now, they work quite well together and definitely brighten up the room.


That's all for now, thanks for dropping by! I really appreciate feedback and comments by the way, it's nice to know someone's 'out there' sometimes! : )


10 comments

  1. Wow. Quite impressive talent! I can't draw a straight line with a ruler -- so this is amazing to me!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Clare, you have such talent! I adore this darling still life ......violas/pansies/violets are favorites of mine with their little faces, and I'm sure these paintings will be treasured by your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lin! Yes I love violas and pansies too! : )

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful: love the beautiful lavender color, and what a perfect fit with the cup and saucer! It looks perfect with your other painting: you painted that one too, didn't you? I love them both!! Have a wonderful weekend!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen! Thanks so much, yes, I painted the other one too. Have a lovely weekend too! : )

      Delete
  4. I love the yellow background to compliment the purple flowers, it really works well and makes for such a bright and happy picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda, yes yellow goes nicely with the purple alright!

      Delete
  5. This is so gorgeous! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.