Enjoying the Summer!

Thursday, July 23, 2015


The summer is just flying by, the weather hasn't been wonderful here but we're making the most of it, a bit more sunshine would be nice though! It's a little more tricky to get work done with Isabelle on her holidays but I'm trying to keep a good balance going! Despite the weather there are lots of summer flowers blooming, which are perfect subject matter for some watercolour painting! Isabelle loves picking them with me too, Cosmos are one of my favourites along with sweet peas which are in abundance at the moment. I love having the sweet peas inside the house just for their amazing fragrance!


For sketching I like to arrange small bundles with contrasting textures, here I used a large white Cosmos (Purity) along with some of it's fern-like, feathery foliage and some yellow parsley flowers. I usually try a couple of different arrangements as well as drawing the individual flowers. I love drawing from life and it's nice to build up a body of reference material for later in the year, when there are no flowers.


We've had a lot more birds nesting in the garden this year, I think it's because the trees and shrubs are becoming more mature now and they have more cover. Apart from all the house martins, which are doing well, we've had swallows, sparrows, robins, starlings and green finches all with offspring in the garden. We also spotted these little guys with a nest on the ground!! under some rocks and old building materials. I'd never seen an active nest on the ground before, we watched to see what type of bird was tending the nest and it turned out to be a pied wagtail! I was a bit worried that the neighbours cat might get them but they all successfully fledged. We saw them around the garden when they were a little bigger still being brought food by their parents! Isabelle loved watching them. I took this photo with a zoom lens, so we didn't disturb them!

That's all for now, I hope you're enjoying the summer and nature wherever you are! : )


2 comments

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.