A little embroidery!

Saturday, October 17, 2015


I think I mentioned in a previous post I was learning embroidery. I haven't done any since I was in school where we learned some basic stitches but I'm always keen to add to my skills so I found a couple of online classes to improve my abilities!


The classes I took were on CreativeBug, which I already have a monthly subscription to because they have such a great variety of classes! I did the embroidery sampler and embroidery sampler advanced classes there. I didn't make the actual sampler being demonstrated I just wanted to learn all the stitches so I could create my own designs.


Blitsy had a great deal on hoops, embroidery threads and the special marker that disappears with water. So I snapped those up and waited for them to arrive! The butterfly I appliqued from some white felt and embroidered over.


I have been doing a lot of sketching of wildflowers recently and that inspired the design. Although initially I only sketched part of the design, I added more as I went along!


I tried to include a variety of stitches I learned in the class, like the satin, chain, straight, back-stitch, some couching with wool and french-knots.


The project I had in mind for this whole embroidered piece is for a cover of a sampler notebook of all different types of stitches. I think it'll make a nice keepsake to hand-down to Isabelle.


I'm really happy with how it turned out! So the next challenge is to make it into the cover for the sampler notebook! I have found a youtube video on how to make a fabric covered notebook so I'm hoping that will help!


Here's the entire piece, the butterfly will be on the front of the cover and the other side will be on the back. I'm going to add some interlining to add some body to it, thanks to my mom, she has lots of supplies!


The butterfly is my favourite butterfly, the orange-tip butterfly, we always see them in the garden in the summertime!


I did work on this over a few weeks, doing a little bit here and there, but it was wonderful to see it growing and I just love all the textures!


I did learn a lot as I went along, experimenting with the number of threads I used and adding shading with different coloured thread. The only thing I'd like to do differently for my next project is use a linen instead of a cotton to make it a bit more durable. But I'm definitely hooked on embroidery, it's like drawing with thread! : ) Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I hope you make some time to be creative!




2 comments

  1. Gorgeous Clare!! I love all the variety of the wildflowers and the different stitches that you made it with. You really are a talented artist!! :-) Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! I really enjoyed making it! : )

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.